Quantcast

What wood again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I have always assumed that the timber that I salvaged and have been using for a while is mahogany. Can someone confirm or deny this, please? I never thought to ask until I saw another 'what wood' thread.....

See the box in my signature, or any of the bits and bobs here.

I am just about out of the stuff now, so any suggestions for what timber to try next would be appreciated (I will probably have to wait until I go to Yandles). I am more of a carver than a cabinet maker, and like to expose the character of the wood rather than hide it. I have carved a yew walking stick and love the grain patterns - is yew easy or hard to work?

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
certainly looks like it or similar, maybe sapele. Just my very untrained eye. May I ask how you did your plaque. Is it done with a router or carved by hand.
Mark

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll stick my neck out and go for west African Mahogany or second choice would be Brazilian Mahogany.

Guggs

Established Member
Reaction score
What a horrid wood West African Mohogany is , talk about wooley grain ! I would say Sapele for this timber . Deffo in fact

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd go with either sapele or meranti it's hard to say without closer inspection, I'm one of your photos it's even got a look of luan about it.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It certainly seems as if the majority think sapele. I have looke at the descriptions of the mahoganies and sapele, and to be honest could not use them to decide. Is Sapele a forgiving timber for the type of work I have been doing? Did I get an easy time of it?

wallace":3uc1bcar said:
... May I ask how you did your plaque. Is it done with a router or carved by hand.
A bit of both really. I used the router to clear larger areas, and hand tools to finish the piece. I am now moving away from using the router for 'waste removal' as I am getting more confident in my ability to carve a level background (and my current carving piece is cylindrical).

Is use of the router frowned upon in this sort of thing? I am just inventing ways of doing things as I go along......

And what timber next? I like the idea of yew. Is it more difficult?

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
Is use of the router frowned upon in this sort of thing? I am just inventing ways of doing things as I go along...... [/quote said:
Just do what suits you. If you're short of time the router is quick and noisy but if you've got time then hand tools for more enjoyment :D

Regards Keith

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
100% sapele for me. 3rd pic down in the link shows small figurings running across the grain to the top left and right hand corners and thats a dead giveaway for sapele (apart from the stripes!). Also, the smell when you work it.......

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
Matt@":1jg9nqfj said:
100% sapele for me. 3rd pic down in the link shows small figurings running across the grain to the top left and right hand corners and thats a dead giveaway for sapele (apart from the stripes!). Also, the smell when you work it.......
Thanks Matt. I will probably notice the difference in smells when I work another timber - I have only worked in pine before.

I am glad that I salvaged the sapele rather than disposed of it - that would have been a crime of ignorance indeed. I only hope that I made good enough use of it. It taught me a lot and made some special presents for family at the least.