What wood again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I have always assumed that the timber that I salvaged and have been using for a while is mahogany. Can someone confirm or deny this, please? I never thought to ask until I saw another 'what wood' thread.....

See the box in my signature, or any of the bits and bobs here.

I am just about out of the stuff now, so any suggestions for what timber to try next would be appreciated (I will probably have to wait until I go to Yandles). I am more of a carver than a cabinet maker, and like to expose the character of the wood rather than hide it. I have carved a yew walking stick and love the grain patterns - is yew easy or hard to work?

certainly looks like it or similar, maybe sapele. Just my very untrained eye. May I ask how you did your plaque. Is it done with a router or carved by hand.
Mark

I'll stick my neck out and go for west African Mahogany or second choice would be Brazilian Mahogany.

What a horrid wood West African Mohogany is , talk about wooley grain ! I would say Sapele for this timber . Deffo in fact

I'd go with either sapele or meranti it's hard to say without closer inspection, I'm one of your photos it's even got a look of luan about it.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It certainly seems as if the majority think sapele. I have looke at the descriptions of the mahoganies and sapele, and to be honest could not use them to decide. Is Sapele a forgiving timber for the type of work I have been doing? Did I get an easy time of it?

wallace":3uc1bcar said:
... May I ask how you did your plaque. Is it done with a router or carved by hand.
A bit of both really. I used the router to clear larger areas, and hand tools to finish the piece. I am now moving away from using the router for 'waste removal' as I am getting more confident in my ability to carve a level background (and my current carving piece is cylindrical).

Is use of the router frowned upon in this sort of thing? I am just inventing ways of doing things as I go along......

And what timber next? I like the idea of yew. Is it more difficult?

Is use of the router frowned upon in this sort of thing? I am just inventing ways of doing things as I go along...... [/quote said:
Just do what suits you. If you're short of time the router is quick and noisy but if you've got time then hand tools for more enjoyment :D

Regards Keith

100% sapele for me. 3rd pic down in the link shows small figurings running across the grain to the top left and right hand corners and thats a dead giveaway for sapele (apart from the stripes!). Also, the smell when you work it.......

Matt@":1jg9nqfj said:
100% sapele for me. 3rd pic down in the link shows small figurings running across the grain to the top left and right hand corners and thats a dead giveaway for sapele (apart from the stripes!). Also, the smell when you work it.......
Thanks Matt. I will probably notice the difference in smells when I work another timber - I have only worked in pine before.

I am glad that I salvaged the sapele rather than disposed of it - that would have been a crime of ignorance indeed. I only hope that I made good enough use of it. It taught me a lot and made some special presents for family at the least.

Latest posts

Back