What type of wood is this? Sorry!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's a rubbish question.

I got this off cut from somewhere... not sure where, when or who gave it to me/bought it. It looks nice and love the grain. Want some more, but not sure what it is. I'm sure someone here will know.

Pic show plain and (trying) different finishing products.

IMG_20180308_151822.jpg

Thanks.

Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_20180308_151822.jpg
    IMG_20180308_151822.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 366
is the white edge in the grain or is that the finish?
if it's in the grain Its american walnut with a bit of the pith in.

The white bit is sapwood.

This looks different from the other walnut I have... but then there are different types of walnut aren't there? The ones I have in boards don't have grains like that...

Thanks!

different types of walnut and also different ways to cut it up. often it's quater sawn to give an ornate crane, but straight sawn or slabbed can come out like that.

you are most likely more used to seeing european walnut which is heavily figured. :)

I vote laburnum, the sap wood and heart wood colours are correct, and the way that there is a lighter line highlighting the growth rings makes it much more like laburnum than walnut.

It looks like laburnum to me too. If you look at the end grain, walnut has very tiny pores, while laburnum's are much larger.

My initial thought was walnut but also suspect laburnum , so not much help there.

What we need is technical leap and have a sniff 'n' save camera and a scratch 'n' sniff screen, it'd be easy then :)
Walnut has a distinctive smell when cut but pippered if I could describe it.

Hmm...

I have (European) Walnut, bought from Brooks Bros in Nottingham and it's different. I may have picked this up from Malcolm on here or bought it as an offcut from another shop (who don't stock laburnum). I can see why you say it's laburnum though (after googling for photos)...

...I wonder who sells laburnum near me?!

It could also be Afromosia or even Hydua, but these are both very difficult to come by as well.

Rather than clog up the forum with yet another ‘what wood is this’ post I thought I’d just add my query to this one. My parents gave me a piece of firewood from a recent delivery that they thought looked unusual. I’ve rough cut it on the bandsaw and cut the end grain with the mitre saw, so what kind of wood do you think this is?

5edb7c3a55914ca0f654bc07295634b1.jpg

dc7c4adbe542964e24ab7fd6ad6db56c.jpg

b6003b0b9adfc7768a6f763f74ce62fb.jpg

b72ec3ab0f4d4a5456d55f8be64d7c66.jpg

Sawdust=manglitter":3eecyufc said:
Rather than clog up the forum with yet another ‘what wood is this’ post I thought I’d just add my query to this one. My parents gave me a piece of firewood from a recent delivery that they thought looked unusual. I’ve rough cut it on the bandsaw and cut the end grain with the mitre saw, so what kind of wood do you think this is?

I would be about 99% certain that's Oak.

A very pretty piece of Oak.

Unless it's some very coarse London Plane, but the bark doesn't really match that.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got/had quite a few oak burrs, but nothing that have looked anything similar to this!? I did wonder whether it was something like London plane, but never had or used any of it myself so wasn’t sure. I’ve had some ‘silky oak’ before which the grain reminded me of, but thought silky oak was an Australian tree. I know this comes from a 200+ year old woods local to me which does have oaks there so this may very well be oak, but it looks like no oak i’ve ever worked. It does have a pretty grain though :D

It's clearly a piece of oak that van Gogh's been trying to plane. Looks fantastic SM!

It does have similarities to silky oak (grevillea robusta) but true oaks do have some strange offshoots. I'd go with Chris and his quercus van Gogh :D

Back