what type of glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all

in the next few weeks i will be finishing a large project that has many lap joints and i am out of my usual glue. now i have heard some talk recently about different types of glue and i have always been curious. in the past if i really needed something to stay i used gorilla glue, what do you folks think.

i was thinking about more of the same or something like titebond III but i know nothing about glue. since this project is rather hefty and has lap joints i need to use a very strong and long lasting glue.

thanks for the advise
sparky

Nowadays I always use white and yellow glues. Mostly Tidebond and sometimes Bison and Pattex which they only sell at the local DIY stores.

In the past I also used PU glue but stopped since I notices it was a lot weaker and always tended to get messy while glueing. I always thougth it was stronger because they sell it as construction glue but it ain't its only water resistent.

When in need of a glue that fills gaps use epoxy.

I never used hide, bone, nerve and formaldihyde glues. So can't comment on htose.

Take a look at the current edition of Fine Woodworking where they tested a range of glues with a range of woods with a tight and loose joints. The results showed that PU glue is much weaker than PVA across most applications.

Stick to the white or yellow glue and you can't go wrong. Also it doesn't dye your fingers black like PU does

Regards

jonathan

Back