what to buy in the US

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M,

If I were lucky enough to be in your position I wouldn't pre-order anything. Go into the local Woodcraft for a few hours with a wee notebook and make your list. Over the next day or two work out what you want, buy a few US WW mags, just to check on latest releases and prices, go back to Woodcraft and get your list down to a managable size (physically and financially) then purchase.
Personally I get so indecisive in a situation like this that without a bit of research I start wishing, on the way home, that I'd should've got this instead of that etc.
You'll be blown away anyway by the shear amount of stock in a decent Woodcraft branch anyway. Just be prepared and let us know how you get on.

Rgds

Noel

Noely":l4pnmr0b said:
I get so indecisive in a situation like this that without a bit of research I start wishing...

hence the planning now - I'd totally missed the review of the router bits so that's an idea I've got a couple of weeks to mull over :)

and lo and behold, you can actually email the individual store directly from the web page so i should be able to check they have items in stock and get them to reserve for me so no need to organise deliveries and take liberties with my friend's postbox....great suggestion :) :D :lol:

keep 'em coming

cheers

M

MP

Lucky guy being able to browse and buy over there.

Have you thought about Forstner bits from Leigh Valley. I got the full set fron 1/4" to 3" and have found them invaluable, good quality and cheap compared to here. Also they do a complete set of dovetail router bits for the Leigh jig, agaijn cheaper.

ragarding bringing the jig on the plane as hand luggage, it is a bit heavy and bulky with all the bits, hope you manage it because its well worth the effort.

Looks like you will need planty of extra bags.

Safe trip

Waka

M,

Whatever you bring back in hand luggage, just be sure there are no sharps - ie cutters. They will be removed and placed in a large bin as you watch helplessly and then marched onto the aircraft .....

Rgds

Noel

And if you get stopped, (as a colleague did with a set of golf clubs).. the going rate is that you pay approx 100% fine, + the duty you should have paid, + they confiscate the goods, which you can buy back at approx 100-120% of the purchase cost. Bascially it costs you 2.5x the original price. From then on, you get stopped every time at customs as you make it on to thier list of people who have tried to smuggle stuff through.

I can recommend a "homepacked" brown parcel via the cheapest post service you can find as a good alternative. You don't pay duty or tax, just post costs, which may or may not save you excess baggage charges.

\Adam

MP

My LN 5.5 is one of my absolute favourites - go for one and enjoy your planing all the more

Latest posts

Back