what size single Phase motor sugestion for table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk woodman

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any Ideas of what size motor I should fitting to my second user 10" Table saw project!? Its going to run on domestic 240volt electric supply hard woods mainly cut 2" thick and needs to be quite quiet, induction
Size?
Model?
amps?
watts?
cost?
retailer?

KGrHqQOKnME4NSIY9HMBOFYrEK4LQ_12.jpg

Wow! not a single reply or slight piece of information given, I thought someone! would have some Ideas what would be best suited to the job and know something

The biggest fuse in a 3 pin plug is 13A which equals 13 amps x 230 volts = 2990 watts or divide by 735 = 4 HP approx.
This takes no account of starting surge. So Andy's 2200 W / 3 HP is probably the safest maximum size.

Now all you need to do is Google for suppliers. :)

Axminster sell them

superunknown":30pfo8bx said:
I fitted a single phase 3hp motor from Machine mart to my Wadkin ags10 saw a few years back and thats been great, no complaints.

1355917871_7da9c5c7bf.jpg

thanks superunknown for that, dose yours work off a 240volt domestic 13amp supply? as thats what I'm concerned about at the moment if I fit 3hp motor, I want to fit 3hp but! I'm worried about the surge on starting up, as understand the draw could be greater than my circuit breaker can handle and trip the breaker, your T/S looks quite impressive.

Tim

took your advice and bought 3hp 2pole 3000rpm motor from machine mart tried it and it just blew 13 amp fuses :( now just changed if for a (2hp 4pole 1400rpm) from machine mart and thats it problem sorted :) , now I can sit back and chill and think about cutting wood! ahhhh......

superunknown":2g7cdjpo said:
I fitted a single phase 3hp motor from Machine mart to my Wadkin ags10 saw a few years back and thats been great, no complaints.

1355917871_7da9c5c7bf.jpg

Lovely looking saw you have there, did you repaint it?

I have been running one of my saw benches with a 3/4 hp 4 pole motor for years, its 10'' blade cuts up to 2 1/2 '' no problems.
What's strange is most motor information for saw units recommends a 2 pole motor due to the starting load, but a saw bench has no load to start with until you start cutting, by then its running at full speed!

ripped some mahogany 2" thick today with the saw, and it worked a treat, couldn't tell the motor was working other than the sound of wood being cut and a little sawdust around, cough! (the dinning room) quick vac around all evidence gone! :twisted:

Back