What size of compressor for a framing nailer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Elm

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice as to what size of compressor I should buy for my shop, I want to be able to use a framing nailer as well as a brad nailer.
A framing nailer that will fire 90mm clipped head nails, the same sort of nails as a paslode first fix nailer uses, the paper collated type.

Would the likes of an electric 50 litre draper be good enough or would I need something more powerful?

Noise is a factor at night!

Bill

25l min for a brad and 50l min for a framer. I run a 50l in my shop.

The more important factor is whether the compressor used can deliver enough air at the correct pressure. If your framing nailer needs 8cfm to work and a min bar of 8 then the compressor needs to be able to give 8cfm or more.

When i used my framing nailer i had a 25ltr 2hp and that had no problems powering my porter cable coil framing nailer. That took full head 90mm nails.

You might be better off keeping clear of the oil free compressors as they are noisier. Or if you have the space? a separate vented/ insulated box within your shop to help reduce the noise. But the bigger the receiver the longer you can use the guns before the compressor needs to refill. Also you might find the framing gun louder than the compressor running it.

Have you thought about getting gas nailers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bostitch-GBT1 ... 5ae60c4945
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bostitch-GF33 ... 4ab13dbfee

I would tend to agree with Hudson
But I would actually say for shop use get the biggest that you can afford/Accommodate.

The range of tools that you can get for air compressors is mind blowing as well as some of the machinery that a wood shop may use.

Do not get a gas type gun for use in the shop as the cost of gas and the reliability of them especially at this time of the year leaves a lot to be desired.
( Price up 5000 90mm nails with gas then price up the 5000 nails without gas and you will see what i mean )
Do not however scrimp on a cheap regulator and if you can, get one that attaches to the gun as it gives a more constant feed of air especially if you are using a long hose.

Roger

The main problem is that once you have got a compressor you may want to use other tools on it. If all you want to do is run a nailer of any size and noise is a problem then a oilless compressor as small as 10 lt. will do the job and is not to noisy but use an air hose of 10mm internal dia. for best results

Thanks for the info guys!

In the future I may decide to spray some furniture with polyurethane or the like and I've been told I would need a 3hp comp, Is this right if i'm using a spray gun I need more power?

Just a thought as to the noise aspect of it... Would I be able to build up the pressure before it gets to late in the evening then turn the comp off and use what air pressure I've stored after the comp is turned off? or does the comp always have to be running? and if it doesn't what sort of time scale could I expect before there wasn't enough pressure left?

I know that the last question is probably impossible to answer but if I was using it for a nailer say for just tacking brads would it last for a while?

Hope this makes sense.

Bill

A nail gun uses a single charge of air every time you fire it and will run on a very small compressor. A spray gun uses a constant flow of air and needs a much larger compressor to operate it ie. 3 horse power with a 150lt tank minimum. You could charge up a large compressor and use a nail gun many times before it needs to be turned on again but a spray gun would run out of air in no time.
it could be better to consider a small compressor for the nail gun and something like an Earlex spray station for spraying.

powertools":ayar6875 said:
A nail gun uses a single charge of air every time you fire it and will run on a very small compressor. A spray gun uses a constant flow of air and needs a much larger compressor to operate it ie. 3 horse power with a 150lt tank minimum. You could charge up a large compressor and use a nail gun many times before it needs to be turned on again but a spray gun would run out of air in no time.
it could be better to consider a small compressor for the nail gun and something like an Earlex spray station for spraying.

Many thanks that makes sense!

You can charge the air compressor then unplug the power. The compressor will still fire nails unplug from power but once the air goes under the required pressure the nails will start to only half fire into the wood, then jam the gun then stop firing at all as pressure gets to low. This happens quickly with smaller compressors.

A 25l tank may allow you to fire 30-50 brad before pressure is to low and say 10 framing nails. A 50l would fire around about fire 20 framing nails before it would need to recharge air and pressure.

I also agree on getting a turbine powered sprayer. You need a big compressor to cope which takes up space and makes noise. A turbine spray takes up very little space and sounds like a hoover. There are other pros also.

Back