What shoulder plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian,

You said you wanted a shoulder plane but the Anant one you referred to is a bullnose plane. There's quite a difference between the two types in use and, in my view, the bullnose plane is quite difficult to use in situations where you really need a shoulder plane, because of the short front section

Another option which you could consider is the Clifton #3110 which is three planes in one - a shoulder, bullnose and chisel plane depending on which front piece you use

Clifton3110.jpg

I've recently bought one and it's beautifully made - much better than the old Record #311 on which it is based. It's more expensive than the plane you were referring to but good value as you get three planes for the price of one :)

More details here http://workshopheaven.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap ... ton+Planes

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'll second the comment on the 3110, it's a great plane. What are you wanting the shoulder plane for? I assume it's for trimming tenon shoulders, so if so what size of tenon? You could get away with a Record 41 and these can be had quite cheaply, but if you're doing big tenons then you will need one of the larger planes

Cheers

Damian

I have to say as a total Normite that that little Clifton plane is right at the top of my current 'want list'.

Looks very nifty and very handy.

Incidentally, don't Clifton make block planes? There aren't any on the Workshop Heaven website. I'm looking for a new block plane and would prefer to buy British if I can.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":1hp8m5i0 said:
Incidentally, don't Clifton make block planes?
Cheers
Brad
I believe that there's one in the pipeline from Clifton...Paul Chapman's got first dibs on that one though :lol: - Rob

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to re-think this as £184.00 is a lot more than I was planning to spend.

I've just found this Record 311 on eBay, what do you guys think, is it worth a punt?

regards

Brian

Another fan of the Clifton 3110. It is a good size. I find some of the smaller ones to narrow for the work I do. I would not say I use it a lot but at the moment it is in use as I have some awkward shoulders that I cannot get right so I have decided to adopt the very careful approach using my 3110. Unfortunately I have never used or held an Anant so cannot comment on these.

woodbloke":3agalm02 said:
BradNaylor":3agalm02 said:
Incidentally, don't Clifton make block planes?
Cheers
Brad
I believe that there's one in the pipeline from Clifton...Paul Chapman's got first dibs on that one though :lol: - Rob

They've had a prototype for some time and it's a real cracker. Unfortunately it's not in production yet but I hope it will be one day as I've told Mike Hudson that I want the first one off the production line.

Pester the boss of Clico, Alan Reid - it might help to get it into production sooner :-k

Paul

I have the Anant bull nose. Didn't like it, not really sure why, it just didn't feel right in my hands.
I have a Stanley 93 with a 25mm blade and can be changed from a shoulder to a bull nose. Took a bit of fettling to get it right but I am now happy with it.

Anant bullnose - nasty wonky piece of work. Screws not straight into body. Threads rough, uneven plating on the adjuster which is sloppy in the blade. Can be made to work but there's no pleasure in it. And a bullnose is not often what you really need. False economy - and I bought mine in a sale for a lot less than £50!

Andy

I have a Record 042 for sale if you are interested.

Good condition, and built like a tank.

About 3/4'' cutter left, but it is not hard to find a new one.

Looking for £70.00 plus postage.

Will see you (and me) out. Your grandson will be using this.

Paul we'll need to see that Clifton block when it materialises, looking forward to it. Any idea if they're going for traditional or whether they're looking to take LV and LN head on with a modern plane? Hope it's the latter

Adjustable mouth; low angle; Norris-type adjuster; fabulous Bubinga-faced lever cap; thick blade; green paint 8)

Paul

Ah rubbish, I may need to tell Rob that I need to sell him the DX back :wink:

If it's as well made as that plane then it should sell very well. Interested to see where the bubinga fits in though

Do they do factory tours in Sheffield?

Back