what plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d c

Reaction score
i am considering using some reclaimed scaffold boards for a work bench with an mdf top fitted to them
what hand plane would be best for squaring scaffold boards? at the moment i only have a block plane which i know wouldnt be up to the task so need to buy something suitable (used) but dont know what size to go for. would a no 4 be adequate to remove cupping and high spots and also be an 'all round' option for future projects or would an electric planer do the job. i dont have space or funds for a planer/thicknesser type.

Wood or iron jack converted to a scrub plane (wide mouth and big camber on the iron) to get them roughly to size. Then finish it with a 7 or 8.

I paid £3 for my wooden "scrub" plane.

I would use an electric plane but get plenty of spare blades be for you start inspect the boards VERY carefully having planed scaffold boards in the past its not only nails but stones and grit embedded in the wood that will take the edge off blades .I have a planer/ thicknesser but there is no way I would put scaffold boards through it .

Back