what oil can i use for my cl3 bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

In my opinion any good transmission oil will be fine - Record are very optimistic in the price they charge for their branded oil :shock: .

Regards Mick

Can I ask what is wrong with 3 in 1? I don't use it myself, but I have no idea what I do use. It's an oil can that was my dad's or grandad's, can't remember which, but it is probably as old as I am. I've never refilled it and one drop now and again suffices for my very occasional lathe use.
But what is wrong with 3 in 1?
S

Think 3 in 1 too thin for it.
I use any car engine oil I have in the shed. 30/5 is what am using at the mo & have done for the 2 yrs I have had my CL3. No problems.

Hi

I wouldn't use 3 in 1 because I feel it's too light an oil - I prefer something more viscous.

Regards Mick

Afternoon Dilwyn

From the CL3 manual

BEARING LUBRICATION
Do not the allow the bearing to dry out between lubrications. Over-lubrication may result in oil being thrown out and on to the workpiece or lathe. Lubricate before each use. For optimum performance we recommend the use of Record Power spindle oil – RPSO-100 or RPSO-250. If not available use automotive grade 30W oil.

Google 'sae 30 oil' for suppliers.

Steve

I think 3in1 is too thin to maintain a film of oil between the bearing surfaces.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":1ttaeenm said:
Afternoon Dilwyn

From the CL3 manual

BEARING LUBRICATION
Do not the allow the bearing to dry out between lubrications. Over-lubrication may result in oil being thrown out and on to the workpiece or lathe. Lubricate before each use. For optimum performance we recommend the use of Record Power spindle oil – RPSO-100 or RPSO-250. If not available use automotive grade 30W oil.

Steve

I think 3in1 is too thin to maintain a film of oil between the bearing surfaces.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay":1ttaeenm said:
Afternoon Dilwyn

From the CL3 manual

BEARING LUBRICATION

Steve

Cheers

Dave
thanks dilwyn so what they are saying a few drops every time lathe is used and apart from record power if i need bearings where could i order them cheers dilwyn

Latest posts

Back