what minimum power tools needed for beginners workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leechild

Reaction score
Hi,

I've posted a couple of things on here now as just starting out and for now decided to learn the ropes with hand tools and just making some simple joints, planing wood etc. One of the members on here has been very helpful and sold me a few bits to get me started and these arrived today, so this weekend is.... tenon joint weekend!!

but what i wanted to ask is that i am interested in small to medium woodworking projects like breadboards, side tables, boxes, stools. the projects i like are the ones done by these guys on youtube:

modern builds: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIxAaC ... TKmazDyIjw
Chris Salomone: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1V-DY ... uBis9-UDug

now i know their stuff is probably intermediary but it seems that you still need a lot of tools to even build the simple things. what strikes me the most is the need for a thicknesser and jointer just to get your wood straight to start with.

so what i was wondering was: what is the easiest way to prep wood with minimal equipment (realise that planing by hand is the most basic but perhaps would want to use some power tools to speed things up router, bandsaw?

and what are the minimum tools i would need to do most projects out of say: router, circular saw, bandsaw, mitre saw, table saw

any help appreciated. and if there are any forum members who live around the bexley, greenwich area and would have some time for me to pop by and take a look at their workshops that would be cool. just PM me.

A bandsaw is about the most useful tool i would say, especially if you want to dimension your own timber. Once cut to size, you could then take a nice sharp plane to it. If you want more mechanisation, then a planer thicknesser is great but a router can be used to thickness stuff. You would still need to plane it if using a router.

I have machinery because it helps me earn a living but any woodwork i do for fun, i use handtools as much as possible. So the choice is yours but bear in mind that machinery is expensive, noisy, takes up room and needs to given respect as it can be dangerous.

Bandsaw. You MUST buy the biggest that you just cant quite afford. Because in 3 months youll kick yourself for not going large on that. Does almost everything except make the tea.

Router table. A machine that requires the utmost respect, or it will bite lumps out of you, but is an amazing tool for shaping and edging almost anything.

Tablesaw. if you have room and money, but you can live without one.

Bench top (lunch box) Thicknesser. If you can only buy wood in sawn planks that are all the wrong sizes, then its a must. But its N.O.I.S.Y. No, really, screaming jet engine loud.

Another router mounted on a sled for thicknessing small pieces of wood.

After that its all luxury stuff.

My most used tool is ....... my vacuum cleaner! And unless you really enjoy hand sanding (you're going to be doing a lot of it) I'd recommend a random orbital sander (which should connect to the aforementioned vacuum).

leechild":3cra3nq5 said:
i am interested in small to medium woodworking projects like breadboards, side tables, boxes, stools

It's good that you've identified specific items that you want to make. It's even better that those items are small and straightforward.

For solid wood items on that modest scale there's absolutely no need for any power tools at all. But if you want to make stuff from sheet goods (veneered MDF, plywood) then it's a completely different skill set and you're best thinking power tools right from the get go.

Good luck!

When I first started making guitars (to sell) and furniture (for me) I had no power tools at all and did fine. For many projects a router is useful. Electric drill is cheap and useful. A circular saw will handle sheet goods. An electric sander is a must unless you have a lot of time! You can easily get by with hand held power tools and avoid buying workshop machinery until skills and ambitions grow.

AJB... I was exactly the opposite. When I started woodworking I had no desires, except to fill up my retirement days. I bought a bandsaw, and discovered bandsaw boxes, but then realised that I needed more power machinery to finish them. Every time I buy a new piece of machinery, I realise there are more things I can make now.
I think I need to change my name to TIM the TOOL MAN (lol).

Ha! Fair enough. You have to consider I was a student when I started and had no money. Now I can afford stuff and have a workshop and a timber framing shed full of machines. Quite crazy really. But my ambition one day is to cut right back and start making violins by hand.

The one bench machine I used a lot, for many years, was a home made (by my FIL) 12" disc sander. Still a go to machine in a newer incarnation. I must admit I would miss my bandsaw if I had to cut back.

I have a 4" belt / 6" disc sander. Never use the disc, far too small.
I should have got a 6" belt minimum. couldnt work without the bandsaw, no discussion there.

leechild":1vfiiwzc said:
i like are the ones done by these guys on youtube:

modern builds: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIxAaC ... TKmazDyIjw
Chris Salomone: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1V-DY ... uBis9-UDug

I've just taken a peak at those two sites. Maybe I missed some details but the first thing that struck me was the discrepancy in their facilities. Chris Salomone was working in about 40 or 50 square metres and had well over £10k of kit. Modern Builds seemed to have about 30 square metres and under £5k of kit.

You might think they're both a bit spendy, but to put it in perspective, they're also burning through hundreds of pounds of hardwoods on many of their projects. After allowing for cutting wastage Chris Salomone's "Modern Credenza" for example will need four or five cubic feet of Black Walnut, that'll cost about £400 assuming you don't screw anything up and need to remake components.

That's just the reality of woodworking. If you want to make real furniture in hardwoods then you can't do it on loose change. And if you want to substitute machinery for skill then it costs thousands.

There's a lot to be said for starting really small. Search for Paul Sellers and he'll show you how to make simple items from softwoods using a very small and affordable hand tool kit. You might think Paul's designs are tired old relics from the 1970's, and I couldn't disagree, but the truth is nobody else on the internet will get you up and running, working in wood and learning the essential core skills, for less money.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back