What Lathe to buy for £2200-00

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
With this amount of cash I would expect a 1 1/2 or 2HP lathe with evs. not too large but able to punch it's weight. I would love to buy a second hand one but these are all pick up only and I live in Ireland. I have looked at the Nova1624-44 it just has the VS. there is a good offer on it over here, but dont know enough about it . Any suggestions will get my full attention. Regards Boysie

That sort of money the sky's your limit. I think most of the professional lathes are within that budget. Perhaps some of the pros on here will come back with what they would suggest.

Alternatively, send me a cheque and I'll do some research for you. :roll:

Pete

It all depends on what you want the lathe to do, as there are good lathes out the that do a great job for a lot less. The most expensive lathe out there, will not make a bowl or vase better, thats all down to the skill of the operator.
Cheers
Pete

I would try and get to try as many lathes has you can before you buy,if you can,and don't forget to add on all the accessories that you will need.

I would suggest you first think about what you want to turn and then write down a spec to suit. So do you want:

fixed or swivelling headstock?
what motor size: 1, 1.5, 2 HP?
mobile or fixed control box or maybe a foot switch?
maximum swing is?
maximum distance between centre is?

Just a starting point. There are many other considerations and as Paul says try the lathes out first as this is the only way to find their shortcoming for the way you turn.

Thanks to all for their views. If I was in the UK I would have all these choices and could try them out,but over here of the top makers all I can locate are Record power who also do Nova I believe. If there are others they dont advertise. OH! there is also Jet . We have Draper, Sip, Scheppach,I've had all three in different sizes, and all with problems for me anyway.
All I want is a lathe that I can turn a few bowls Vases,Platters Lamps and the like.1hp to1.5 hp would be perfect. BUT a good MACHINE. Ive had it with half way house stuff. OK someone said you can spend a lot of money and if you dont have the touch then or the feel for turning its a waste of money.Accepted! But if I dont have the feel and touch(which I feel I have) and I'm going to turn s###, I dont want to have any excuses, It will be the best S### that I can turn. Sorry for the ranting but ive had it with suppliers telling me to get this done to the machine maybe that will take the wobble out of it ,maybe your Supernova2 or your Patriot could be a bit off. If I told some of them that the starting handle had broken they would suggest that I should have it welded, they wouldent even offer to replace it. Thanks again I have just put some finish on a wobble platter ive just finished. Boysie

boysie39

Even though you are in Ireland , there are things called ferry's and Lorrys

that take freight to Ireland , cant you get the lathe you want delivered ? cant see any maker turning away a deal on a £2k lathe just because you are in Ireland ?

Look up here

and

here

and

here

http://www.silverdrive.co.uk/contact.html

but there web site is not responding at the moment

Then there are all the adds in the Woodturner

If you need any help let me know ,always fancied a holiday in Ireland :wink:

and I have a van as well :wink: :wink:

Allen

Hiya Blister, good that yourback in action again, there is no problem having a new lathe delivered by the supplier, its the ones like that one in Aberdeen that I cant bid on because its pick up only. There was a deal going on a few weeks ago when your name was mentioned that I would have loved to bid for ,but the old body is not up to galavanting around as much as I used to . Everyone has a dream and mine is to go down to the Shed put a piece of timber in the lathe and make something Im happy with,I cant do it with what I have so I move to something better.I wonder could the tools I bought from you be the problem,now theres a thought. :D . Reading up on the HagnerHBD200XL at the mom. Regards Boysie

Another vote for the vicmarc. I think the 175SH will meet all your needs, last a lifetime and maybe even leave a bit of change for some extras.

I think there is a review available that was done a couple of years ago that was very complementary.

For the amount of cash you are looking to spend, (a bit controversial now) then I would think a big lump of cast iron is the way to go. I have turned on most of the other steel fabricated lathes mentioned and never found them as satisfying.

My opinion anyway.

Dont be such a wet towel man, what I do to grab pick up bargins is I mail the guy and say to him, is it ok with you if I arrange for a courier to pick this up from you at a time thats convenient for you. There are couriers and services out there that will even package the item, specially if its going on a ferry or such. For instance one of the first companies to come up on google:

http://www.mbe.uk.com/Mail Boxes Etc Services/services_packing_courier_and_shipping.asp

They will pick it up, package it and ship it all for you. As Mr T Would say:

image_719.jpg

with that kind of dosher i'd definitely buy new - and i'd go with either a wivamac or one of those reengineered and reconditiond short bed graduates with variable speed control fitted.

both firms will export to eire

big soft moose":11u8vf37 said:
with that kind of dosher i'd definitely buy new - and i'd go with either a wivamac or one of those reengineered and reconditiond short bed graduates with variable speed control fitted.

both firms will export to eire

It just so happens I have one of those for sale " a short bed Graduate , variable speed " :lol: :lol: :wink:

114_1481.jpg

Its the grey one and you can see the control on the wall to the right , and the tailstock with revolving centre in on the small grey cabinet !!

It just so happens I have one of those for sale

What? Are you working to order now Blister?

BTW I love the look of these lathes. They look absolutely rock solid. Never seen one working though.

Dave

Blister":101akg65 said:
It just so happens I have one of those for sale " a short bed Graduate , variable speed " :lol: :lol: :wink:

Go on then, how much would you hope. does it have single or double pulleys?

Pete

Latest posts

Back