What kind of hinge do i need?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanybaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, just making a little cabinet out of the only pieces of hardwood i have.

As you can see I'm not too sure of what hinge to use? The sides are 16mm thick and i thought butt hinges would not be right. Butt hinges are the only ones I've used BTW.

What i think i need is something to fit in between the top and bottom of my door frame.

Cheers
Sean

But hinges will be fine, you may ned narrow pattern ones for the 16mm stock but the pivot will show

If you don't want the hinges to be visible then center or knife hinges that fit between door top/bottom and the faceframe will be suitable.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php ... ge+-+Brass

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/products.asp ... ntCat=5/88

Just on the design side, I would finish the top & bottom short and have the face frame covering them. Also possibly raise the bottom so it is level with the top of the lower faceframe so there is no internal lip.

JAson

Cheers for the advise Jason.

I think those pivot hinges are what i'm after. Although at nearly a tenner :shock:

I have changed my design to have 2 doors and can't justify £20 on hinges.

Anyone know where i can get similar, but a little cheaper.

Cheers

HI Sean

Jason is right, but.

Knife hinges are notoriously difficult to fit and they are not easy (for which read "practially impossible") to adjust. I'm not trying to put you off, just so long as you know what you are letting yourself in for, that's all.

Cheers
Steve

As the metal is quite thin on the ones you have gone for you probably don't need to cut them in, just surface mount. This will give you a bit of adjustment if you use short screws to set them up then when you are happy with the action fil full length screws. May help to make a simple template to get the holes positioned in the frame & door equally.

Jason

jasonB":1kbkn0j3 said:
if you use short screws to set them up then when you are happy with the action fil full length screws.

That sounds like a great tip. I suppose this applies to any type of hinge.

Cheers

Er, sorry, no. I've never used them, I don't think. I just know that they have a reputation. That's not the answer you wanted, is it?
S

Cheers for the advise anyway. I've only been woodworking for a year and only ever fitted about 8 sets of hinges. So it looks like i'm jumping in the deep end. :shock:

Cheers

Those hinges were really hard to fit and i still didn't get the doors hanging properly. Ahh well least I've learnt something.

Heres my efforts.

SP_A0075.jpg

SP_A0076.jpg

Cheers
Sean

I think that looks smart, I would be proud to have made it.
The door sdon't look to off TBH.

Looks good. Butt hinges would have been neater IMHO.
There are ways to hide the slight door misalignment - basically you trim a slight bevel along the edge so that the line of sight is straight even if the door isn't.
The old Jim Krenov details again :roll: - funny hinges and rails and stiles the wrong way round! I've never quite seen the point of this, or the saw kerf wedge.

cheers
Jacob

Back