What is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian33a

Sawdust Engineer
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of clearing out my late dad's workshop. While I know what most things are and what they are used for, there are a few which mystify me.

My dad was a trained joiner in his early life, but he acquired plenty of other stuff over the years from his relatives - some of it woodwork based, some not.

I wonder if you can tell me what this is and what it is used for (and if it is complete or if I should be looking for additional bits to go with it)?

PXL_20221012_161437394.jpg

Many thanks.

I’d agree, Ideal is the maker of my bandsaw blade welder. Mine looks different as attached to the saw, but principle will be the same

Thank you both for your replies. That does make sense as my dad also has a Kity bandsaw (which will pass to me).

Do these have something specific to actually weld the bandsaw blade or is the idea to use a normal welder?

With my bandsaw (and Axminster unit), I wouldn't think about welding a blade if it broke - I'd simply replace it with a new one. To be honest, I can't see me using it going forward.

Put a bevel on each half of the bandsaw blade about 2 or 3 times as long as the thickness, much like you do when using shorter pieces of baseboard on a wall. Clamp it in the clamps of the electric unit with silver solder/braze between the ends. Squeeze the handle down while applying power to heat and melt the ends together. Us the curved clamp to hold the blade so you can file it smooth. That's the theory so there might be some slight variation to the sequence. I wish I had it.

Pete

Ian, it is a b/saw blade welder......
but it was from a time when blade were relativly expensive plus the steel dare I say wasn't as good....
I cant say the last time I broke a blade...even on my metal bandsaw.....they just wear out.....
The blade material has been revolutionised this last 20 years....
for example I pay the extra for the Cobalt added blade....M42...???
get ur blades from Ian at TuffSaw....You cant loose....

When I was a trainee the company brought bandsaw blades in a coil and you made it up to fit the saw. There was a cutter on the side of the saw with a welder and small grinding wheel.
Cut the length of blade required
Clamp the two ends with the jaws apart
Turn on the power and pull a lever to force the two ends of the blade together where they heated up and welded.
Grind off the flashing with the grinding wheel

When I was a trainee the company brought bandsaw blades in a coil and you made it up to fit the saw. There was a cutter on the side of the saw with a welder and small grinding wheel.
Cut the length of blade required
Clamp the two ends with the jaws apart
Turn on the power and pull a lever to force the two ends of the blade together where they heated up and welded.
Grind off the flashing with the grinding wheel

That is exactly what the engineering company that I did my apprenticeship with had in their training school back in 1978. It was a metal cutting bandsaw.
The blades used to snap fairly regularly, ( not at the welded joints though....) which was no surprise really, considering it was being operated by spotty 16 year olds straight out of school.....😁

Thank you everyone.

It looks like this will become a museum piece - and a very interesting one!

Now that we have an old house, I can see it fitting in somewhere and being a talking point. I expect my wife may have a different perspective, but there we go!

I'm so glad I asked about it!

I'm back at dad's again today ... please stay tuned for the next "what does this do?" :)

Back