What is this product - or - is this any good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
I am deliberating on purchasing some of these plyboards, however I am not sure as to what the labelling means, perhaps someone can enlighten me:

Item:Elliottis WBP Plywood Board
Description: Brazilian WBP Grade Plywood
Size: 1220 x 2440 x 18mm

I understand WBP = Weathering Boil Proof = can be used outside as well.

Is Elliotis the pine type? I assume so - is that correct?

The selling price is cheap so is this ply rubbish? (ebay and new)

I want to build some cabinets for my w/shop for tools etc.

Any advice? I do not want to throw money away here plus the effort put in on building the cabinets. Has others use it and was it OK?

Apologies for all the qurestions but........the buyer aware applies here plus I am a newbie after all :)

Appreciated in advance

Sound like shuttering ply to me :cry:

Elliots is indeed the pine type thsi is likely to be quite soft ply with some voids and surface defects, the worst of which will hopefully have been filled.

Nor sure where the Brazilian bit comes in as The Elliots pine would likely have come from North America :?:

I wouldn't use it for cabinets, at the very least go for Far Eastern ply but your best bet is birch ply probably Latvian if you want a decent surface and strong ply that will last.

Jason

Brian,
WBP stands for water and boil proof and it REFERS TO THE GLUE not the plywood. It can't be used outside without further treatment.

Pinus Elliotis is plantation grown in Brazil. Ply quality is rated C/C+. Likely used for shuttering. Also used to make doors :shock: Maybe like those quality doors for £19.99 in DIY sheds i.e. fairly nasty defects.

Ike

Thanks for the info!

Now I have learnt something here! :)

Gad, one must be careful as to what is presented in the ads. :evil:

Cheers.

WBP = Weather and Boil Proof,but as Chris said,refers to the standards that the glue is subjected to.
So the panel may still rot,but the glue will be fine :wink:

Andrew

It'll make serviceable cabinets etc for a workshop - but it won't look pretty! :lol:

Ike

Back