What is this? J Howarth?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodwormJames

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm seeking some help identifying what the below actually is? I acquired it with a bunch of old chisels, gouges and so on. Initially, I thought it was some kind of mortise chisel, but I don't think it is anymore. I'm wondering if it's some form of long router blade? A bit of clean up on the back revealed some text: "[SH]EFFIELD", Either "6" or "9" and it looks like "V. Howarth" to me, but I can only find a "J. Howarth" online.

I'm sure anyone on here will have better knowledge than I do in this area, so I'd be grateful for any help!

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

The cutter is for a plough plane. The mark on the tool is the maker's brand name, the man that started the company that made the tool. The number is the width of the cutting edge in 1/16". It'd have said "CAST STEEL" as weel. That was the tool steel available in the 19th century.
Howarth is supposed to be good quality, I can't vouch for that since I don't think I have a tool with that brand, but if you run into it, grab it and give it a try.

IMG_1700.JPG
One of these old wooden body plow planes. A plane would have come with a set of blades. That groove down the blades back engages with the metal skate. Old ones can be picked up quite cheap but its rare to find a whole set of blades. They usually require some work to get working again but they perform well when you get them sorted out. Word of warning that not all blades fit all planes. I found out the hard way when I picked one up in a junk shop thinking I had scored only to find that about half the blades were a poor fit. That set me looking for blades that you can also find cheap and eventually I managed to build up most of a set. Not all the same maker but close enough the same taper so by making a wedge that worked with those blades its a good worker. I now have another body and and a bunch of mismatched blades and the only option for that may be making a bunch of wedges to suit each blade. A rainy day project for some future time perhaps.
Regards
John

The cutter is for a plough plane. The mark on the tool is the maker's brand name, the man that started the company that made the tool. The number is the width of the cutting edge in 1/16". It'd have said "CAST STEEL" as weel. That was the tool steel available in the 19th century.
Howarth is supposed to be good quality, I can't vouch for that since I don't think I have a tool with that brand, but if you run into it, grab it and give it a try.

Thanks so much. That’s really helpful! I have a bag of old chisels, etc, that I’m slowly working my way through to clean up and make useful again. Without the body for this, I may put it aside for now and come back to it when I’m able to find a body. It would be very useful to have though! Any idea what year this might be from roughly?

Howarth made first class kit.

Hopefully I’ll get to try it out one day, but it seems like it might be a bit like putting a Ferrari in the hands of a blind silly person with me though…

View attachment 154590
One of these old wooden body plow planes. A plane would have come with a set of blades. That groove down the blades back engages with the metal skate. Old ones can be picked up quite cheap but its rare to find a whole set of blades. They usually require some work to get working again but they perform well when you get them sorted out. Word of warning that not all blades fit all planes. I found out the hard way when I picked one up in a junk shop thinking I had scored only to find that about half the blades were a poor fit. That set me looking for blades that you can also find cheap and eventually I managed to build up most of a set. Not all the same maker but close enough the same taper so by making a wedge that worked with those blades its a good worker. I now have another body and and a bunch of mismatched blades and the only option for that may be making a bunch of wedges to suit each blade. A rainy day project for some future time perhaps.
Regards
John

Thanks, John. I’ll keep an eye out for a suitable body but I have my work cut out with about thirty assorted chisels and gouges at the moment so may move this one to the back of queue for now…!

Really appreciate all the replies. Very interesting and helpful! Thanks all!

James Howarth, John Bull brand. Excellent quality tools well worth seeking out or restoring.
The Chisel in the photo below is a 1.5" James Howarth, I got it out of a scrap skip & turned a new boxwood handle for it as the original was riddled with woodworm. It holds a terrific edge & is one of my favorite chisels.
old tools 2 (2020_06_17 09_55_18 UTC).jpg

Back