What is it about a well-known auction site?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think in this case, it's just lack of familiarity and knowledge. To us here, we will know that such a thing exists, and know that Workshop Heaven exists - but there are bound to be lots of people browsing eBay who don't even know this forum exists! At least two of them see that marker, for the first time think they would like one, and bid - having found a place to buy one (ie eBay) not knowing if it is still available elsewhere.

But like you say, typing "Richard Kell dovetail marker" into Google is not very hard!

AndyT":2i1ylv3j said:
I think in this case, it's just lack of familiarity and knowledge. To us here, we will know that such a thing exists, and know that Workshop Heaven exists - but there are bound to be lots of people browsing eBay who don't even know this forum exists! At least two of them see that marker, for the first time think they would like one, and bid - having found a place to buy one (ie eBay) not knowing if it is still available elsewhere.

But like you say, typing "Richard Kell dovetail marker" into Google is not very hard!

They probably did Andy. Trouble is the search results tend to figure eBay a lot; just like the 'comparison-sites'. BizRate etc. That's why I prefer Yahoo Search. Although, some people, unwisely, don't bother to read the search results thoroughly. I'd even bet some of them don't even notice there's more than one page! :)

I see this a lot, many people just assume that eBay is always going to be the cheapest place to buy anything so don't bother looking elsewhere. It's also a matter of convenience, buy it and pay with a couple of clicks and it turns up a day or two later, couldn't be easier, and to some people that convenience is worth a few quid.

Back