what is indexing.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
:oops: Happy Christmas All, Can sombody explain to me what is Indexing got to do with a chuck . Only new at this ,But I got a 4-jaw self-Centering Chuck a few days ago ,and I've read the manual a dozen times and it never even mentions it. There is a plate on the back of the chuck with a lot of holes and numbers is this something to do with it.
It says in the manual "It is beond the scope of this manual to describe all of the turning techniques that are possible with the KP96 4-Jaw Chuck. It is recommended that beginner turners attend a reputable course of instruction Refer to one of the many available books on turning techniques". Manufactured from, this gives the Chucks a higher durability ensuring a longer life and high quality finish which is less ??
I dont think this one was made in Sheffield. Oh well the Super Nova 11 looks fav. now. But I would still like to hear about this Indexing, if anyone can help, or reccomend a book would be obliged Regards Boysie.

Indexing is the process of rotating the workpiece(chuck) by a set amount.

Say you want to space six features equally around the work, so each will be at 60degree intervals. By having a detent that engages in the index ring the chuck can de revolved by a set number of holes, if you have 36holes every 6th hole will be used. You will need to make a detent of some sort to suit your lathe/chuck combination.

Jason

Thanks Jason, will have to check it out ,there has to be a book.
Anyone to advise me about the Super Nova 11 a good buy or what. I feel that at this time of year my Children really love their Dad. I'll let you know for sure after the Christmas.Meantime A peaceful and Happy Christmas to all.

Latest posts

Back