what fillers to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have just finished nailing on my shiplap for my new workshop and before i paint i want to fill all the nail holes,
Can anyone recomend a filler that wont fall out in a couple of years and wont let the nails rust?

also have just laid the chipboard floor and in places its a bit gappy (its T&G BTW) and before i paint that i would like to fill that also?

Thanks for any help

Mike

mikepooley":ye4rnv1t said:
Hi all

Can anyone recomend a filler that wont fall out in a couple of years and wont let the nails rust?

Mike

In a word, No. I suspect the amount of movement that is bound to occur on the cladding would defeat most fillers. But maybe others have better knowledge.

Mike, I paint my small shed every 3 years with a wood preservative, including the nails. It has been up over 20 years and I have had no problem with the wood or the nails.

Yes putty. If you can be bothered you could punch them in well and dab them with red lead or other metal primer, before the putty.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":1u4fpnqf said:
Yes putty. If you can be bothered you could punch them in well and dab them with red lead or other metal primer, before the putty.

cheers
Jacob

well they are galvanised :?

so maybe just the putty then :)

funny i never thought of putty at all!

anyone got any ideas for the floor?
i want to paint it and i dont fancy it all gappy :oops:

thinking about how many nail holes there are !!!! maybe shultzy is right and i'll just paint over them LOL

Mike

Putty can be very quick to apply: you make a little hawk like a plasterers but about 4" square, and dab it in with a small round ended palette knife or the nearest similar you can find in the kitchen.

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":3iorgvj9 said:
Putty can be very quick to apply: you make a little hawk like a plasterers but about 4" square, and dab it in with a small round ended palette knife or the nearest similar you can find in the kitchen.

cheers
Jacob

OooooH i'd just talked myself out of that job too!!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back