What everyone think of the new Axminster lathes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting and could be what I've decided that I need in my shed of limited size - a headstock that can be used rotated at any point along the bed (I assume it can as it rotates and moves, although it doesn't specifically say that you can do it).

It seems to have quite a low top speed compared to the 3000+ that I'm used to, although this could just be that they've missed of the speed for the high setting as the 50-1250 has a / at the end, suggesting that there's more to come.

I haven't been brave enough to consider this Warco 1642 lathe, but the price and the spec seem appealing, even if the outboard turning attachment seems unusual.

However, the spec may be aligned with Duncanh requirements.

If anybody out there has any hands on experience of this lathe I would be interested in their comments.

Link:
http://www.warco.co.uk/wood-lathes-wood ... hines.html

I always enjoy a look through the new Axminster catalogue. I'm not in the market for a new lathe but like to keep abreast of what's available. I was interested to see the one that the op linked to. I thought it looked familiar on first look but couldn't place it, after a day of racking my brains I think it looks rather like the Killinger that Phil Irons is selling? I think the new paint job just threw me though!

I know the Killingers have been well received so I guess this will do well.

Cheers

Richard

duncanh,thats the low speed the high speed is 150- 3750 rpm,its in the tech info under the pics,regards,

Eric.

I have been tossing up between the Killinger and yjr Wivamac for some time with a slight leaning to the Killinger. If this offering from Axi is the Killinger then that makes things interesting. Same machine but cheaper ? or is there small differences ?

If I hadn`t bought the Jet 3520B last summer,I`d be very tempted,has the same power ,higher top speed,a little less swing,but the right sort of length for my workshop,its a fair bit lighter,but with the cast iron legs (would be nice to know how much they weigh ) it should be fairly stable with big stuff at low speeds,looks like a good lathe,regards,

Eric.

just looked up the leg weights on the Phil Irons site,their 35k each leg,so that would make it 166k total weight,not bad for a smallish lathe.

Back