What else can be done with caliper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

Yesterday, I've seen a digital caliper for 25 Zloty that are - according to yesterday's exchange rate - £5½ and I could not hold myself...(yes, I know that I have 4 dial calipers but....you know... :) )

I liked very much the possibility to "Zero" it at any distance and lock it.

And - as usual - every new tool that I buy, must go first through "modification" to improve it...and so I did.

I'm using the caliper for measuring wood thickness, width (up to 150mm), to set the table saw blade height, to set the fence / blade distance (again, up to 150mm), to set the router bit height and bit / fence distance on the router table and, to measure the depth (of mortise)...

I would like to ask you, what else can be done with caliper

Thanks
niki

03-1.jpg

I have an axminster compound slide vice for my bench drill and have mounted 2 cheap digital verniers to it. Using the 'digital readouts' I can drill holes for scrapping out mortices or at precise pitches etc repeatedly and accurately. I can also use it for drilling at offsets by positioning the drill bit above the corner of a work piece and zeroing the calipers.

I have a 300 mm digital caliper and find I use that a lot as a simple marking gauge as it scratches wood easily and i don't have to check the setting :).

Thank you

Mark
I don't have band saw...yet...but you scared me, 15,000 PSI ??? it looks more dangerous than the table saw :)

Robert
I've never thought to mark with the aid of caliper...great idea.

Regards
niki

Latest posts

Back