What do I do ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The VB is now in its new home :lol:

and as it is the master bowl turner with no bed for spindle turning :?

What do I do ?

Buy the VB short bed conversion or

Get another lathe ?

one day I think " yep stay with the VB short bed "

Then I think get another lathe for spindle turning and keep the VB for face plate / chuck work

What do you think ?

:wink:

Yes buy another lathe.............or the short bed conversion........or not.

Then sell it to Wiz :lol:

when i bought mine the short bed tailstock wasnt avalible so it was the full tailstock or nothing- i used mine for a few years without a tailstock-you get used to not having one- you will find out that with a vb you can work 25" away from the nose on the end of a vase blank and not have any issues with chatter or vibration so you dont need it for "keeping things steady" but....for the inital mounting of a vase blank or goblet blank a tailstock is handy, it comes down to just being able to hold it while you square up the end or create a chuck hold.

to sum up try life without one for a while and if your not getting on buy the short bed- it slides down and out of the way so easily you dont know you've got it in the workshop till you need it anyway.

I guess it all comes down to how much spindle work you want to do? What sot of stuff do you want to turn?

wizer":389qh68v said:
I guess it all comes down to how much spindle work you want to do? What sot of stuff do you want to turn?

Pens !

It is a pen turning lathe ? isn't it ? :wink:

Seriously , you know what I turn Tom , all sorts , so like to keep my options open :p

cornucopia":10tq22l2 said:
when i bought mine the short bed tailstock wasnt avalible so it was the full tailstock or nothing- i used mine for a few years without a tailstock-you get used to not having one- you will find out that with a vb you can work 25" away from the nose on the end of a vase blank and not have any issues with chatter or vibration so you dont need it for "keeping things steady" but....for the inital mounting of a vase blank or goblet blank a tailstock is handy, it comes down to just being able to hold it while you square up the end or create a chuck hold.

to sum up try life without one for a while and if your not getting on buy the short bed- it slides down and out of the way so easily you dont know you've got it in the workshop till you need it anyway.

Thanks for you input George 8)

Well first you need to turn the biggest bowl you've ever turned..... and I want to come and watch :lol: (from a distance) :wink:

Great news Allen :D
When i very nearly got my VB i was going to get a small bench lathe to do the smaller items on,as i was going to do some big stuff on the VB,i even started getting bigger logs in :roll:
looking forward to the piccys :D

I,d say a run of all kinds of tables would be the order of the day.

Looking fwd. to your postings and your help with mine :lol:

Good to see you back to your old self again Allen.

It's good for the forum members 'cause it usually means lots of

more goodies for sale :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

REgards Boysie

There IS only the one course of action ....

Send that horrible VB up to Aberdeenshire for disposal in Europe's only VB Lathe Disposal Emporium ... leave it at mine, I'll sort the final details of that out for you, not a problem .... and fine fellow that I am, I'll do it FoC for you ... :wink:

As said... get out to your shed and turn a thing that could double as a kids paddling pool .... we should be able to here your chortlings of delight from here :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nice one Al .... I'm 'reet chuffed' for you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Play with what you've got and if it proves limiting then think again. As George says (from personal experience) with a lathe like that you can do things that would otherwise not be possible.

Added to which I have no doubt that it won't be long before some bargain pops up that you will find irresistable :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":ags82mxz said:
Play with what you've got and if it proves limiting then think again. As George says (from personal experience) with a lathe like that you can do things that would otherwise not be possible.

Added to which I have no doubt that it won't be long before some bargain pops up that you will find irresistable :lol:

Pete

Pete

To late :oops:
It already has :oops:
Off tomorrow to get it :lol:

Let me know if you want the PHOTOS :wink:

He's like a bloddy MAGNET to good deals .He has bought something I know it! Bet anything he has found a super duper something just to rub it in. REgards Boysie.

Blister":109pi8n0 said:
Bodrighy":109pi8n0 said:

Pete

Pete

To late :oops:
It already has :oops:
Off to Whitstable tomorrow to get it :lol:

Let me know if you want the PHOTOS :wink:

Large freestanding tailstock?

Like George, when I got mine they didnt do the short bed version so went for the full bed. It has come off a couple of times when turning really big stuff (wash basins..seemed like a good idea at the time) , but i find it much more versatile with the bed on...if only for comfort while truing something or working with very out of balance stuff.

I have tried the short bed a couple of times as it would free up some space in the garage, but I cant get on with it. personal preference but it doesnt feel solid enough to me... definitely try both before deciding.

All academic for me...hand is still a bit mangled so all I can do is look at the moment!

Back