What are these timbers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Spotted a couple of boards that were too good to pass up this weekend, but neither I or the guy at the yard were sure what they are. The stripey one looks like a tropical hardwood but the other is odd, it has the colour and some of the grain of cherry but looks more like a dark and strikingly figured ash.

Please satisfy my curiosity! And apols for some of the picture quality

Picture116.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Could be olive ash or English cherry I would say - difficult to tell since the pics vary in colour so much.

Cheers

Tim

Er yes, digi camera was running out of juice and could only manage one with the flash, the browner colour is the truer colour as they were taken under fluorescent light which gives the green tinge. The striped wood is brown and yellow, but not like zebrano

Olive ash eh, might go and check that out

Thanks for the pics Tim, have had a quick log on the net too and I think olive ash is the one, cherry colour but ash grain. Just need to decide what I'm going to do with it now, but I did know I couldn't pass it up.

Even just rough planed the play of colour and figure is awesome, it's crying out to be a table top - as you've shown

I'm making a kitchen table all out of olive ash at the moment - I'll post pics when I'm done.

Cheers

Tim

99% certain that its all Elm,
based on the looks of the grain structure
The greenish colour is very common and the deeper red is also common.
HTH
Gary.

i'm very sure that the third pic is elm as i have a board about that size and they are very similar.the other two im not so sure on, the second one could be elm but not 100%

Woody.

not wanting to stated the bleedin` obvious, you guys who are sure the 3rd pic is Elm, but unsure of the first two, isnt the 2nd and 3rd piccys the same piece of wood, one without flash and the other with.... :?

as for species, all I know is its wood, stating the bleedin` obvious.....sorry

Apologize for the thread drift... Tim, are those single board tops? If so, lovely wide stuff; if not, very nice grain matching.

Yes, with and without flash. If it is elm it's the first time I've come across it and it's very nice. The other is a different species and I'll try and get another pic up.

It's a nice little woodyard, mostly oak and ash but lots of nice oddities if you go hunting and establish a relationship. They have a cracking piece of maple put aside for my next visit. Keep trying to pursuade him to get round to chopping up his mahogany pile so I can get a guitar neck out of it!

These boards are huge, he's had em years and he got them from a yard in Huddersfield when they closed down where they'd been gathering dust. On the ground since the 60s or 70s I reckon, but approx 10ft long, couple of feet wide and a few inches thick

Hi Ironballs,

The first looks like Cherry to me. The other is Ash. No doubt. Elm is usually darker than that. Bigger Ash trees have all sorts of colours running through them including the oringey tint you can see on Pic3 or olive/brown streaks as on the table tops.

Cheers,

Richard

sdeik4.jpg

Taken from Bloonose's elm sideboard post

Picture116.jpg

Almost identical ?? Again i would be 99% certain that its all Elm.
Your first picture is quarter sawn.
Second and third is crown cut, with a little bit of spalting on the left hand end.

work044.jpg

Picture118.jpg

2vuga4x.jpg

x4i3dj.jpg

On these pics you can see the different variations in Elm's colour and figure. The grain structure is a dead give away and is very distinct.
Different colours and figure is why wood is so atractive no one piece is the same.
Just because it's the same colour as another type does not mean it is :wink:
HTH
Gary.

Hmmmm... Great photo's, but I'm still inclined to think the last two photo's in the original post could be of English Cherry, looking at the small stack I bought a few weeks ago... (Maybe I should upload some photo's! :wink:)

That first shot strongly resembles Elm, in my eyes. :)

Latest posts

Back