what are CLIFTON doing.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! With the mention of the fine Kentish lass this thread has stooped to an all time high!! :mrgreen:

Nice post there Matthew!

Now...Clifton infills..... :wink:

Green wood I think.... :mrgreen:

Jimi

Peter Sefton":jg5o0a9m said:
Flinn go for a no colour Pencil Lead finish. Its like Kelly Brook with no breasts. I'll go draw the curtains... :lol:

You closing the curtains and thinking about a breast less Kelly Brook is to much information :!:[/quote]

Its ok, I have Flippers and a Snorkel on. I'm going in!

Andrea...that plane is hurting my eyes!!!

Take that paint off immediately or grind off the "British Made" in the casting if you would... :wink:

You could have LEAST chosen a decent model! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

Peter Sefton":3iq8gex0 said:
One early poor review came out years ago and people hang onto every word
Speaking of hanging on to every word... several years ago Andy King wrote an article about Clico in which he says...
In 1987, then, when the opportunity arose to acquire Morrisons, a Sheffield forging company, Clico bought into a very different set of skills to those used in the aircraft industry, ones that rely on traditional techniques that date back for generations...

...Morrisons’ Burton Weir works is split into two parts, one part specifically for the manufacture of the range of Clifton planes, the other for manufacturing augers, hollow mortise chisels and other wood cutting tools sold under the Clico and Morrisons brands.
matthewwh":3iq8gex0 said:
Many people are not aware that Clifton was built from what remained when Record moved production to the far east. In a similar way, Clico auger bits are made by the men and equipment from Ridgway.
Hmm... Morrisons or Ridgeway?

Andrea":3iq8gex0 said:
And what about un-lumpy lillac?
Is it not a sufficiently British color?

I don't know who that woman is Andrea, but I think she must be Italian. Doesn't the Pope wear that colour too sometimes.... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

A plane is simply a tool to do a particular job, if it does the job it was made for then what does it matter what colour the manufacturer paints it.

Owl":293uvop8 said:
A plane is simply a tool to do a particular job, if it does the job it was made for then what does it matter what colour the manufacturer paints it.

Is that a question for the new owner(s)?

I think the grey colour looks far better than the green and I wish Thomas Flinn every success with the Clifton brand.

John

I think the green colour looks far better than the grey, but I too wish Thomas Flinn every success with the Clifton brand.

Cheers, Vann.

What I liked about the green (and I have a couple of Cliffies) is that marker of tradition, and also individuality. Not really an indicator of quality, but given that Clifton/LN/Veritas are a gnatsfart away from each other (in reality) in terms of performance, I like the fact that they have a different look. If there was a problem with the green finish, why not move to blue? Or purple? Or any other colour? Or bare metal with a protective clear coat (though I have no idea what that coat may be)? But grey? LN - grey. Veritas - grey. QS - grey. Different shades of almost the same colour from (now) the 4 main 'quality' brands.
However, if, in the process, it brings greater sales whilst maintaining quality, then really what does the colour matter?

Cheers,
Adam

Whoop whoop up to 12 pages ... I must be doing something right to keep you all interested :)

Top marks to:
SheffieldTony
Peter Sefton
Matthewwh
Stuart

#teamflinn

I think the opening sentence should have been a clue to how this forum thread could have been reading:
"Clifton planes have been saved..."
True support to the British tooling industry means buying products and supporting traditional skills and trades, which without us would have been lost.

Thank you all for all your input on here!

P.S. Definitely not a Ms!

thomasflinn":bgtl92k2 said:
Whoop whoop up to 12 pages ... I must be doing something right to keep you all interested :)

Top marks to:
SheffieldTony
Peter Sefton
Matthewwh
Stuart

#teamflinn

I think the opening sentence should have been a clue to how this forum thread could have been reading:
True support to the British tooling industry means buying products and supporting traditional skills and trades, which without us would have been lost.

Mrs Flinn. I think you will find that most of us are keen to see the Clifton brand soar and will support you by buying products. My clifton no 4 is my go to smoothing plane and my 3 in 1 shoulder plane is absolutely top notch. the problem is that if you want us to buy more product you need to increase the range. you have the bench plane market covered but there is a need for a british block plane and more. I know that requires investment and time to develop but it needs to happen. Good luck

iNewbie":2ymv8s87 said:
You've logged into the woodworking forum, not your knitting one. :mrgreen:
I want my tools colour coordinated with my cardigans.

I love the Wilde reference..."The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about" and it's so true.

This thread..and others circulating since Flinn took the reigns is highly welcomed in my eyes in that it raises brand awareness outside of the normal devotee crowd and with proper management of the company...particularly in the area of meeting demand...can only result in a positive outcome.

It's all too easy to get sidetracked into minor issues when it's the major issues that need addressing.

The major issues I see are:

1) Balanced production/demand formula
2) Cost/value analysis with particular attention to competition
3) Expanded network of distribution...I applaud the existing retailers but clearly wider access to products is essential to maintain healthy sales (in careful concert with 1) above)
4) Immediate evaluation of the product range to offer what is needed by buyer consensus rather than relying on existing designs

The minor issues I see are:

1) Paint colorways
2) Brand stamp alignment

I still don't want a Clifton plane (except maybe a block plane if it were available!)....simply because I have what I need in other designs BUT this doesn't mean that I don't wholeheartedly support Flinn in their enterprise nor British industry in general...quite the opposite.

I see feedback here and in other media as nothing other than healthy...be it supportive OR critical and it is both naive and wrong to think that if someone has something to say about any product or company...then they should be criticised for speaking out. Clearly there are enough people contributing to this thread with concerns to make them very real...regardless of what "loyal patriots" may think.

I have a good feeling about the new Flinn/Clifton marriage...only good can come from a listening company.

Jim

Jacob":3lh26fxp said:
iNewbie":3lh26fxp said:

That is what Clifton have done as in my workshop after two or three days my Clothes are grey

Jacob":plem4nir said:
iNewbie":plem4nir said:

Clifton Cardigans? You could be onto something. Apparel is a big seller - and promotes at the same time. Un-mulesed wool so as not to upset some...

Seriously: Roy Cropper.

iNewbie":2hhjs6nc said:
Owl":2hhjs6nc said:

Is that a question for the new owner(s)?

Newbie, it isn't the new owners that raised the colour issue so why would you think I was addressing them ?
All good equipment made in Britain ( as opposed to the mass of foreign rubbish ) should be supported irrespective of whatever colour it is.

Brian

thomasflinn":15lsd7xv said:

Top marks to:
SheffieldTony
Peter Sefton
Matthewwh
Stuart

#teamflinn

:shock:
what about the guy who started this discussion?
Team flinn, the ball is now in your court. Most of the issues concerned with the future welfare of this british company have been mentioned, we can do no more than give you our opinions and views on whats good or bad,
end of they day its down to you how and what you cane i just hope it work out for the better..

alos a flat and curved spokeshave would be nice.. clifton only offer 2 spokes shaves overall where as verities as 20x that and even LN pulled a few copied designs out the bag. "this sums up clifton with respect" (hammer)

all the best
TT

Back