Wetstone grinders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a Tormek 8" for a long time then passed it on to a friend as I got a bit obsessive regarding water in the workshop - I like hyper-dry in there. Since then I sometimes visit said friend partly to make use of the Tormek... tells me something.

QUESTION: In the past few years several Tormek alternatives have appeared (Scheppach, Record Power etc).
I'd rather spend £150 - 200 than £350 plus, so any hands-on experience and recommendations please?

I've got a jet and it's all right but I've got a niggle that tormeks are better. I would probably swap for a pro edge though.just to keep stuff dry.

I used a Scheppach for a while. It did a good job though relatively slowly. I have since sold it and gone down the CBN route.

I've had the Tormek 8" for so long it's now a fairly skinny 7". It's been very reliable, though slow and messy. I now set it up in the kitchen on an easily-cleaned worktop rather than the bench, and use the little hand-crank at the bench and for gouges and the like (having edge-dressed a couple of replacement wheels for it). However, I'm strictly amateur.

For a pro, I'm not too sure about Tormeks or their clones these days. They are slow, though can give very fine results, and they do need their own 'wet' area. I'm inclined to think that grinding technology has moved on a bit, and that JimB might be on a better track with CBN, or maybe the dedicated belt linishers.

Thanks for prompt responses. So it may be as I suspect that the more you pay the better they get.
What is CBN? I looked it up - how does Christian Broadcasting Network replace a wetstone grinder?
Main use is to restore primaries on planes and chisels so fast cool removal of metal is the mission.
Seriously, CBN?? Need to know, it may be my solution.

Cubic Boron Nitride - it's a very hard mineral man-made in grain sizes similar to industrial diamonds, and bonded to (usually) a steel wheel. The whole shebang fits on a high-speed bench grinder (or could rig up a slower-speed set-up) in place of the normal AlOx or whatever wheel.

Here's a bit of info - https://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Grindi ... heels.html

- but no doubt other suppliers are available.

CBN wheels are borrowed from toolmaking and precision engineering, where they've been in use for some time grinding very hard materials such as High Speed Steel. Bit cheaper than diamond, and pretty nearly as effective.

Edit to Add - Derek Cohen (of this and several other parishes) has had a good play with some CBN wheels, and has been generous enough to write up his thoughts;

http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechni ... SetUp.html

I've never looked back since I got the CBN wheels. Some do say that they're better than diamond in that diamond is not really suitable for grinding ferrous materials.

I have the JET wetstone, and theres never a drop of water spilt.
From a conversation quite a while ago it seems most people dont use the wet stone correctly. Being a complete newbie, I'm ashamed to admit I read the instructions before using it, and the instructions very clearly state you should have the handle of the chisel high, and away from you, with the blade in front of you. The water runs up the blade, and then off and back down into the trough.
If you hold the blade the way you would against a grindstone, with handle down if front of you, then its pretty obvious youre going to get wet hands, and arms, and legs, and feet.

Latest posts

Back