Western Red Cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paininthe

Established Member
Reaction score
As a first major project I want to make some Adirondack chairs. Trouble is, beside the making, is getting supplies of Western Red Cedar. Lavers can get it but I would prefer a local/independent so I could maybe have some machining done if necessary and also to build a relationship with.

Anyone aware of stockists in the Leeds / M62 / A1 / M1 corridor?

TIA

Yes, I tried that from the sticky. Nobody does it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree timber wise?

Hopefully someone else can offer some advice on potential suppliers, I've only found www.slhardwoods.co.uk for wester red, they do delivery, but then you back to square one as they aren't local.

The only thing I can think of is to phone up any local wood yard and see if they can order it in for you. My local one is quite good for that as they deal with a number of mills around the country

paininthe":3omlgtre said:
Yes, I tried that from the sticky. Nobody does it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree timber wise?

You could consider iroko perhaps - usual caveat about the effect of the dust on some people.

Bob

Lavers don't have it! I rang Lavers in Leeds and the sales girl said yes, turned up and the sales manager said no they don't, they used to but it had gone.

A root round the yard with one of the fellas and we found a few thin lengths left over, I took most of it. Got enough to replace the slats on the garden bench.

Would agree that it's very hard to source WRC around Leeds, I found a place in Brum that would do it, the timber came to 30 quid and delivery would have been 70 quid. I said no thanks

About 3 years ago I got a load of WRC cladding for my workshop/garage from a chap called Bo McGowan.
address-- Llwyn Ysgaw, Pistyll, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, LL53 6LP.
Telephone: 01758 721513
He had a wood-mizer in a forest near Bala north Wales.

Great chap to deal with. Cut the cladding to my spec. 6" taper to 7/8" at £1.28 linear mtr. It might have gone up since then :)

Alex.

Ironballs":1xaw0q2z said:
Lavers don't have it! I rang Lavers in Leeds and the sales girl said yes, turned up and the sales manager said no they don't, they used to but it had gone.

A root round the yard with one of the fellas and we found a few thin lengths left over, I took most of it. Got enough to replace the slats on the garden bench.

Would agree that it's very hard to source WRC around Leeds, I found a place in Brum that would do it, the timber came to 30 quid and delivery would have been 70 quid. I said no thanks

If you need timber bring back from Brum I'm down that way loads and happy to see if I can courier it if the timing is right (ie in the football season :wink: )

Ironballs":ke3mn4l5 said:

Who is the merchant in Brum?

Ironballs":12re4r85 said:

Who is the merchant in Brum?

Back