Welsh road signs - a point of principle too far?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Drove into Wales on Thursday. First time in 30 years or more.

Driving back at night and trying to find my way around brought home to me the sheer lunacy of having road signs in both Welsh and English. You have to read everything and usually seem to end up reading it twice just to make sure...causing endless mayhem in the process. I just wonder how many road accidents are caused by this daft example of Welsh-ism gone mad?

i doubt that there is any driver in Wales who can only speak Welsh. I'm all in favour of the Welsh supporting their language etc but...and a big but...there is a time and a place. Complicating road signs is not the time nor the place.

Creoso Roger y diolch n fawr! Yes why do they have to have those horrible English words on the signs in Wales? Its not just in Wales, in Scotland you will see signs in Gaelic and English and there are moves to have signs in Cornish and English. Why not get rid of these small languages and just have say English, Spanish, Chinese and Hindu. Think of the money it would save. Got to go now. Have a train to catch at Gorsaf Station. Bora Da!

Roger - it does seem nice of the Welsh to add English sub-titles... :lol:

As for a time and place - that would be now, and in Wales.
Philly :wink:

Living in Wales I have no problem with that Rog, what does get me is the sheer number of useless road signs, or 'furniture' as the PC brigade would have it. 23 in less than one mile near me.
An example, one on the way up a hill, BLIND SUMMIT.

Roy.

As you've only visited the Principality once in 30 years Roger, the language problem shouldn't be to much of a strain. :lol: I have a Dutch friend who visits Wales on a regular basis and loves quoting to me the places he has visited by their correct Welsh spellings and hoping to catch me out.
Dymuniadau gorau,
Jim, a non Welsh speaking Welshman (to my eternal shame!).

I was forced to return to England a few weeks ago and I was reminded of the Welsh comment 'that the only good thing to come out of England is the road to Wales!'

Roy.

RogerS":58eylym8 said:
You have to read everything and usually seem to end up reading it twice just to make sure...causing endless mayhem in the process.

Just a little tip for you, Roger:
If you can't understand what you're reading - you're reading the Welsh part.
When you do understand - you've hit the English part.

Welsh has been around since the 6th Century, so show it a bit of respect, eh? :wink: :lol:

pren":350oc2e0 said:
RogerS":350oc2e0 said:
You have to read everything and usually seem to end up reading it twice just to make sure...causing endless mayhem in the process.

Just a little tip for you, Roger:
If you can't understand what you're reading - you're reading the Welsh part.
When you do understand - you've hit the English part.

Welsh has been around since the 6th Century, so show it a bit of respect, eh? :wink: :lol:

:D But you have to try to read it first! Try driving in torrential rain round and round a bloody roundabout several times. In the end I crawled round at 20mph. Bloody Welsh language :wink: :lol:

Ah Jonny furriners, should remember their place! :lol:
They could teach us English a thing or to about an anthem though.

Roy.

Never trust a language that always uses a consonant when a vowel will do :wink:

Yt dryvs yy rywnd llldd bwynd!

Sawdust Producer":298racg1 said:
I get the same trouble on my adventures into england.

All the Brythonic places names have been anglicised.

:lol: and more so in worcestershire :roll:

I've a notion that might be due to Worcestershire being in England :roll:.

Eskimos shouldn't expect to find igloos when they holiday in Benidorm ;) .

Cor blimey, have they put the traffic signs back up in Wales.?

I bet they dont point the correct direction anyway if they have. :)

As I was born and bred in Cardiff, I think that Roger is simply using the bi-lingual signage as an excuse to mask his poor trip planning and faltering eyesight? :)

Digit":1grvhkxn said:
I bet they dont point the correct direction anyway if they have.
You've visited haven't you? :lol:

Roy.

The last time I was there, traffic signs were laying down or pointing the wrong direction.

But perhaps the Welsh ladies would send us an invitation sometime in the future to their S.W. members.

Back