Welcome Back....Me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!

long time no speak! i had an email from DaveL so i thought i'd pop in again...

i cant quite remember the last time i posted on here but its been well over a year, and in that time i left school with all my GCSE's above C's (incase i hadn't told u!) i got an apprenticeship in a big contract furniture company (Ellis Furniture) which essentially makes chipboard boxes and calls it furniture, however they do have a handfull of decent products. But having said that they have an excellent training area where i try spend the bulk of my time making furniture for home. Obviously i cant spend all my time there so i have to show i've learned a machine. I spent a few months learning CNC programming and machining which was very interesting and extremely mind boggling at times. I was working with a very talented operator who taught me everything, not just simple dowel holes etc.

I'm now in my second year and have been spending the last few months teaching the 3 new apprentices that have joined.

I came second in the SkillBuild competition last May which runs every year...hoping to make it 1st next time!!

I won a shield from my college for being the best in the year which was presented to me at leeds town hall last month.

I set up a new website www.unwrittenfurniture.com so take a look at some of the stuff i've been creating =]

Just one downer at the moment, we've moved house and there is nowhere to set up my workshop :cry: at the moment its all in my uncles garage wasting away! hopefully something will come along in the new year!

So yea i'm not doing too bad!

Oh and i have my driving test in January! eek! lol

well i'd better stop before u all get bored!

nice to be back =]

Tom

Welcome back, Tom! Sheesh, no wonder you haven't posted in over a year - you've got a life like wot I'm always being told is so useful :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Thomas, looks like you've entered "real" life in good shape. Well done, I'm impressed with your progress and wish you all the best for the future and hope a workshop turns up shortly.

You seem to have landed on your feet at work so well done.

Looking forward to seeing the next project

Andy

thanks for the nice comments =]

here are a few pics of what ive been making!

DSCN0021.JPG

An effect fire, quite simple really, MDF sprayed with a stone finish, a box on the back with a glass shelf and a fire bulb under there!

DSCN0030.JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

A fold out card table made in solid cherry with an inlayed cherry and mahogany top, fluted and tapered legs, curved front rail and top with matching curved mahogany inlay.
The top slides using a dovetail mechanism and folds out to reveal a felt playing area.
This was quite a challenging project and took some time.

DSCN0037.JPG

DSCN0040.JPG

Its difficult to see on the pictures but the front rail and top is slightly curved.
A dovetailed walnut/maple drawer
Walnut mirrors on nicely rippled maple posts

This last project tested my joinery skills! I had to put a door into an archway which meant making the frame aswell

Photo-0223.jpg

This shows the pine door stained in oak and varnished

collage25.jpg

This is the door in place and im glad to say it all went well!

i have WIP pics for those interested =]

And i've made lots of simple things here n there.

Not bad to say all of the above (apart from door material) were free! infact i got paid to make them and they are in my house as i type! so i cant complain at all :p

Tom

Latest posts

Back