Wealden tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick one for those of you who have used Wealden. I am about to try them out and wondered are all the router cutters actually made by Wealden ? By the looks of it they are but Im not sure

I am thinking of getting a few straight cutters and an 8mm shank Biscuit cutter set anyone own the Wealden biscuit cutter set ?

I have the Trend 1/2" shank professional RED set, which is good but expensive, but get fed up swapping over from 1/2 straight cutter when fitting worktops so thought get the 8mm set from Wealden and use my small router problem solved.

Cheers

Chris

All the ones I've got have 'Wealden' on the shank, but whether or not that means much I don't know.

I've no idea of how they bear up in trade use, but in hobby use they are as good as you need and better. Good range and excellent service, too. I'd say equal or better than Trend.

Wealdens cutters are excellent but I think they have them manufactured to their specs. As far as I know titman are the only uk company doing all their own manufacturing :(

Wealden are excellent - haven't bought cutters from anyone else for years. Great service too; I've ordered through their website at 4.30pm and had the cutters in the post the next morning.

HTH, Pete.

indeed, Wealdens cutters are not (all) made in the UK. But all the products i have had have been exceptional with fast delivery and good customer service

Snap.....

I've used them for best part of 20 years, and the cutters and service are first rate. I once bent a cutter the very first time I used it, and they replaced it FOC without even asking a question.

Mike

cheers guys, normally i buy the red trend pro cutters thought i would try something different.

Just ordered:

18mm straight for housings/dados

Biscuit cutter set

Template cutter

all in 8mm shank not used 8mm bits yet will be interesting to see how different they are compared to the usual 1/4" cutters.

My cutters arrived this morning first class post and so far they look very good quality I dont know when I will get around to trying them out but if they cut as well as they look then I am sure they will be good.

chippy1970":1ca157m1 said:
I have the Trend 1/2" shank professional RED set, which is good but expensive, but get fed up swapping over from 1/2 straight cutter when fitting worktops so thought get the 8mm set from Wealden and use my small router problem solved.

(My first post, so make allowances!)

My sharpest cutter and most durable long term has been a Freud 1/2" worktop cutter, not used for worktops, but all sorts of general duties (in a table). I recently replaced it with an even longer Freud because it's been so good. I'm in the process of upgrading the table, and if I get a good-un it'll get used as a horizontal jointer on small stock. The original is still thoroughly serviceable, but doesn't draw blood any more if I catch a finger on it in the tray... ;-)

Second best is a Wealden 15mm straight plunge cutter, with the third blade bottom centre.

I had to mod a B+Q kitchen cupboard for the bathroom (truly horrid job, don't ask), and didn't have the exact 15mm size their fittings needed. Wealden were next-day, and TBH it's a brilliant cutter. The finish at the bottom of a dado is beautiful - long or cross-grain, and the flat-bottomed holes I originally needed it for (plunged through the Formica skin of the boards) turned out brilliantly.

Son on the basis of one whole item, they're a recommend from here!

on similar lines my 'favourite' cutter is a Wealdon 3" long 1/2" bearing guided trim cutter [table use only!]. It was the first cutter I used in my new Trend T11, to trim some bed legs - I made perpex guard and used the lead in pin but still a scary cutter to see at full length. It stayed fitted and the T11 through the table height adjuster meant it was used as a normal straight bit for many jobs.

On Sunday I ordered two more cutters from [Wealden long reach 6.4mm] that came this morning.

Dave

oddsocks":31vneq8q said:
my 'favourite' cutter is a Wealdon 3" long 1/2" bearing guided trim cutter [table use only!].

This was the bit that bit me ;)

wizer":1a1svasg said:
oddsocks":1a1svasg said:
my 'favourite' cutter is a Wealdon 3" long 1/2" bearing guided trim cutter [table use only!].

This was the bit that bit me ;)

that must have been a big ouch then! When trimming the legs the bit was guarded by the perspex, I had it on a low speed and wore leather gloves with kevlar inner linings (bought from screwfix some years ago). ....It still t snatched a few times until I worked out how best the use the lead in pin.

Back