Waterstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just dug out my waterstone, it's a 1000/8000 graded stone. I haven't used it for a while and embrassingly I have forgotten which side is which as both look and feel as smooth as the other. How can I find out which is the 1000 graded side and which is the other? :oops:

I'd suggest have a go at sharpening something on it. I'd think the 1000 side would cut quicker, leaving a greyish colour on the cutting edge, the other side would be slower and leave a shinier finish.

If this works, then mark one side or the other to help remember which one's which (I did this, then forgot what the mark meant :oops:

Might I suggest writing an F near one face on the end of the stone and a C near the other next time Ross? :-D

Colaris, as Ross says there should be a marked difference in the surface left by 1000 and 8000, with the latter leaving a far higher polish so in use it should be easy to discover which side is which.

If you can't tell then presumably it doesn't matter either way.

You will probably find that they sound different, too, as you use them. I have a small piece of stone that Racers gave me, I use it on my kitchen knives. I don't know what grit each side it, but I can tell which is coarse and which is fine just by the very different sounds.

Use two identical Plane blades. Place a mark 3 mm's in from each cutting edge. Hone away on one side of the stone and note the time it takes to reach the mark. Do the same with the other side of the stone. The coarsest side will 'arrive' there sooner.
- brought to you by Viz tips.

3mm? Really? I wouldn't want to hone away 3mm of any plane blade! And certainly not just to find out how coarse a stone is. Yes, it will get there quicker with the coarser side, in about a week rather than a month for the fine side...
Viz? Ah yes I remember that from my youth... :)

Outside having a ciggy and a light went on. It was Bill next door getting home from work. But I did have a thought. Fill the sink and lob it (gently) in. The side that bubbles most is the 1000 grit. The 8000 is denser so won't take on so much water. You could test it by creating a slurry in the same way I suppose. Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier or why it came to me while Bill next door was getting home from work. :wink: Waterstones. Clue's in the name really.

If it's one of the Ice Bear ones like my 1000/8000, the reddish brown side is the coarser one. The cream side is the finer.

Normaly just by going over with finger nail you should feel the difference. However you do not have to do much of grinding to see the difference. What you need is a bit of magniffication. Compare scratch patterns and finer is higher grit.

Thanks all.

Luckily I found a video on YouTube which reviews the stone I have and mentions which side is which. :)

Colarris":3sfifbx6 said:
Thanks all.

Luckily I found a video on YouTube which reviews the stone I have and mentions which side is which. :)

So none of the given tips worked? :(

BugBear

bugbear":27i2z01f said:
Colarris":27i2z01f said:
Thanks all.

So none of the given tips worked? :(

BugBear

:D I will bear everyone in mind, I am sure they will help me in future but there is no substitute for an actual demo. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYftYmKIF4s

Back