Waterstone sharpening station ideas wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been using a Trend Diamond Stone and a Norton 8000 grit waterstone as my honing setup, but the Trend stone seems to be getting towards the end of it's life and has severely lost it's bite. I therefore decided to give my old 800/6000 grit waterstone another go the other night, and was stunned by how fast it cut compared to the Trend.

I've now decided to give Waterstones another go, so I was wondering if anybody has ideas as to a simple sharpening station that I could put together. I don't have a sink in the workshop, so the unit would need to be self contained, and preferably include a flattening area as well. I dont have much room so I'm thinking along the lines of a board with a couple of tupperware boxes.

You ideas and pics will be much appreciated as always.

Cheers

Aled

For years I didn't have water in my shop. But since I started using waterstones a built a "H" shaped thingie that fit over my bathroom sink. Since is where I did all my sharpening. plenty of water, rock solid, didn't have to built a stand alone mini bench for it.

Now I sharpen on my bench - but I have a thin plywood board about 2 x 2 1/2 that has a block at one end so it can easily clamp in a vise- this protects my bench surface and I don't have a lot of cleanup to do.

The stones I keep in a tub that I used to soak them in. Or i am using superstones the tub just serves as a carrier.

I have a small plastic waterbottle for putting water on the stone. Flattening I still do at a sink.

Bluddy hell SWMBO would murder me if I went anywhere near the bathroom :shock: :shock:

Or are we talking about 'merican "bathrooms" i.e. the bog :lol:

I'll be watching this one closely - looking for a similar solution myself.

filsgreen":4azmn7mk said:
I'm having a go at sharpening Aled and I've just bought this.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/UR ... 783413.htm

I can't say what it's like yet as I haven't used it, but it's got £10 off at the mo so it might be worth a punt for you.

Phil
I had the Veritas version a few years ago and it worked quite well if you can get on with the perpetual mess that using waterstones involves. I couldn't so I sold it - Rob

For the 6 and 8,000 stones you only really need to spritz them with water. I keep a small spray bottle handy.
My lower grade stone is kept in plastic container, immersed in water. When I need it Ijust remove it from the container and spritz it when it seems necessary.
I guess you could keep a number of wet rags in a polytrhene bag and use them to clean up.the slurry.

When I was using waterstones I made a plywood board that was edged with iroko. I painted it, but you could varnish it. It kept everything contained. I did have the Veritas stone pond and I thought it was quite good with a few modifications but expensive for what it is.

Hi Aled

Ideally you can set aside an area dedicated to sharpening. A small bench/table is all that is needed.

Until very recently (end of last year) I, too, did not have any running water in the workshop. To contain the mess that was inevitable with waterstones I worked on a board that held the waterstone as well as clamped a sheet of drywall mesh (plasterboard screen). This was easy to swab down - it isstiff enough that it can be clamped at one end and then lifted for cleaning (I kept a couple of sponges nearby, along with a spray bottle of water). For extra containment (although it is not really necessary), this board can rest on a plastic sheet.

waterstoneboardWC.jpg

I can supply details if you want, but it is quite a simple design.

My workshop underwent a serious rebuild at the end of last year and I acquired running water! It is not finished - still need to build doors and internals for thecabinet, and a backsplash for the sink...

T-Sharpeningcentre.jpg

And the old waterstone board is now modified but still in use ...

T-Waterstones.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi,

I have a sink in my garage (with hot and cold) and I made stone holders from two plastic cuting boards screwed together, with a holes cut in the top one to fit the stones. They fit across the sink between the taps and a have a off cut from the screwed under to stop it sliping off. I can post a picture if thats not clear.
How about a cat litter tray they are very cheap.

Pete

Thanks for your replies guys. You've given me a lot to think about.

To be honest I'm a little concerned about the "perpetual mess" as Rob puts it. The sound of having buckets, sponges etc. puts me off a little.

I like the look of Derek's setup but unfortunately my workshop is very small and I don't have the space for a "dry" sharpening area not to mention putting in a sink. If only I had an outside bog, and before you ask, it's not even worth considering using the bog indoors!!

I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment, do I comromise and live with the "perpetual mess" or do I try a totally different approach to sharpening? My wood supplier swears by DMT diamond stones, and I know that many of you also use the same. The other (significantly cheaper) solution would be to go with the Scary Sharp system as sold by Matthew at Workshop Heaven.

AAAARRGHHH
Decisions, Decisions.

Cheers

Aled

sadly you're too late for an absolutely bargain deal on a set on DMT bling.

If I was you I'd give scary sharp a quick try. It's low outlay to see if you like it.

Aled Dafis":1akoyp8w said:
The other (significantly cheaper) solution would be to go with the Scary Sharp system as sold by Matthew at Workshop Heaven.

Having followed up that notion, I now understand why he's so keen on the Kell.

Scary Sharp and the Kell fit together pretty well.

BugBear

Aled Dafis":3fog09v3 said:
To be honest I'm a little concerned about the "perpetual mess" as Rob puts it.
Is there any system that doesn't make a mess? I seem to get my hands dirty what ever I use. Gritty dust if using sandpaper dry, sludge from water stones or oil from oil stones.

aesmith":355dw549 said:
Aled Dafis":355dw549 said:
To be honest I'm a little concerned about the "perpetual mess" as Rob puts it.
Is there any system that doesn't make a mess? I seem to get my hands dirty what ever I use. Gritty dust if using sandpaper dry, sludge from water stones or oil from oil stones.
Unfortunately, all honing systems make a mess to a lesser or greater extent. I use paraffin (but any light hydrocarbon oil will do) and the mits do get a bit mucky. It's just that waterstones make a lot of mess...hence the desirability of a sink with running water - Rob

Well I am mainly useing Scary - purely because I'm a cheap skate and the outlay for other systems puts me off.

I "aquired" some 22mm MR MDF gave is a light sand & stuck decent quality whole sheets of Wet & Dry to both sides of two sheets (so I have four grades).
I also have a sheet of glass for final flattening -wet & dry "sticks" to this with a bit of water.
A quick wipe down at the end of the session tidies away all the muck & gunge.

Then during work I might have a quick wipe over a traditional stone in a box & a leather stuck to another MDF board.

Certainly I dont want the sharpening stuff around when nice clean wood is on the bench

lurker":2p2u4y66 said:
Certainly I dont want the sharpening stuff around when nice clean wood is on the bench
That's why it's always sensible (if possible) to have a dedicated area somewhere in the 'shop for a sharpening station - Rob

The piont I was trying to make Rob, is that during a job I don't have much call to sharpen other than touch up.

I suppose because I have enough chisels & spare (ready to go) plane blades.

For what it's worth:

I bang on about Frank Klausz a lot (I think!). However, his water-stone sharpening station makes the whole thing a breeze.

Have a look at the Taunton Press, DVD of his called 'Hand Tools'. I don't think you will find a neater solution for keeping a water-stone ready for use, and without quite so much mess, when you do use it.

You could always use a waterproof glue, as opposed to his 'Boat-builders' joint, for the water-box.

John :D

Latest posts

Back