Waterproofing a shaving brush handle.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicfirth

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be making a shaving brush handle from walnut and wondered what would be the best route for waterproofing.

My thoughts are polyurethane vanish
Cyanoacrylate
Danish oil

Since the handle will properly wet I was thinking that maybe the idea of proofing might be futile so perhaps merely attempting to repel would be the best approach, hence the inclusion of Danish oil in the list.

Any comments or alternatives?

If it is the stuff that they used in Chinese milk then I am amaised that they didn't smell it?

So if you do use the melamine then make sure you have loads of fresh air. I usually have a fan blowing across me between me and the lacquer and out of a window. Works a treat!!

Reallt goos stuff but smelly until dry..

Keep in mind that walnut contains tannic acid, even if it's less pronounced than oak, so wet walnut in contact with all kinds of metals will leave ulgy stains/rust, both on the metal and on the walnut.

With that in mind, I would personably use the lacquer here, since I don't have the patience to create enough layers of oil.

Back