Water purifiers and softners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

I've been thinking about these since moving up to Wiltshire. Most of the plumbing seems to have stalactites attached.

Anyone use an Aquatec system?

Any comments about them?

Cheers

Dave

Morning BB

Thanks for the reply.

Some interesting points made in the thread.

Cheers

Dave

Deejay":2kw22smf said:
Morning BB

Thanks for the reply.

Some interesting points made in the thread.

Cheers

Dave

Sorry it's so long.

As you've probably found, it's really quite hard to get good consumer information on water softeners.

BugBear

Morning BB

You're right about the lack of impartial advice.

There are some weird and wonderful (allegedly) things available.

Cheers

Dave

bugbear":1b7h3jso said:

Sorry it's so long.

As you've probably found, it's really quite hard to get good consumer information on water softeners.

BugBear
Basically because it's not a "consumer" product. Nobody really needs them except window cleaners, brewers etc. and they have their systems sorted out

Dave....

as the others have indicated its a bit of a minefield. But if you're interested i'm happy to give my input....

We moved in here in 2002 (just west of Southampton) and like you we too have lovely crusty deposits on taps, kettles, sink drainer, shower head, cats bum.... no no.... forget that bit... :D

There was already a water softener installed under the sink, and a 'purifier' tap next to the sink for drinking water. It's not something i would have said "yeah... we need one of them..." but as it was there i thought ok lets give it a whirl.

All worked well...... topped up the salt as required, and replaced the filter cartridge as required as well.

Might be worth pointing out that its a Permutit water softener, the smaller one that B&Q sell.

All worked well..... till last summer when i came down in the morning only to find a puddle of water on the floor.

BUG*ER BUG*ER & DAMN & BLAST.....!!! i said.... :evil: :evil: bleeding things sprung a leak...!!

Well.... actually... no it hadn't.... turns out it was a very S-L-O-W drip drip drip from one of the hose water connections to the softener.... but only became apparent after i had removed it..... arrrggghh.... so all it needed was a new hose.

However.... after i had removed it and inspected it, it became fairly clear that it wasn't a very err competent installation in the first place.... :shock:

We decided therefore to buy a new one. But which one...??

Searched and searched and searched..... umm'd and ahhh'd for ages and ages..... weighing up pros and cons, blah blah blahhh..... so..... what did we end up buying...?? another Permutit from B&Q, except its now the newer model with a lovely digital clock on it (rather than the annoying mechanical whirrr whirr clunk clunk one...) and because the plumbing was already done i could spend as long as i wanted getting this one installed 'just-so'.

Cost..? with B&Q's 10% discount on Wednesdays.... a tad over 300 of my poonds.

There's only me and the missus so its set to regenerate once a week, and believe me... there's plenty of soft water between regeneration's (and we've got power showers in bathroom & en-suite which blast oodles of water out)

I've sourced a supplier of granular salt at £7.20 per 25kg bag.... so almost half the price of B&Q's..!!

Now we're back to lovely soft water again.... :D

Worth noting tho that it doesn't fully eliminate crusty's etc.... but a lot lot less than it would be otherwise.

Nick

oh..... p.s..... between taking the old one out and putting the new one in, i was doing a lot of work in the kitchen and we were without 'soft water' for probably 2 1/2 to 3 months. During that time the difference was SOOO noticable when i was taking a shower, i seriously thought there was something wrong with the soap and shampoo.... it just wouldn't lather up :shock: ...... within a couple of days of putting new one back on-line.... the soap was working again.... :lol: :lol:

My inlaws have a water softener in their place in Wiltshire and while the water is undoubtable soft I find myself struggling when i wash my hands or take a shower to feel fully clean, its almost as if the softened water leaves a mild oily film on my skin, not very pleasant!! Not sure what system they have but its not something I would have fitted, but the water here is plenty fine for me!

NikNak":3dqjql0m said:
oh..... p.s..... between taking the old one out and putting the new one in, i was doing a lot of work in the kitchen and we were without 'soft water' for probably 2 1/2 to 3 months. During that time the difference was SOOO noticable when i was taking a shower, i seriously thought there was something wrong with the soap and shampoo.... it just wouldn't lather up :shock: ...... within a couple of days of putting new one back on-line.... the soap was working again.... :lol: :lol:

Yeah - I'm in Norfolk, and water supply s fairly hard; a relation is in Essex, and his water supply is amazingly hard. No lather at all.

I love my water softener, or at least the water it produces.

BugBear

Thanks all for the comments

Jacob
I see what you mean about not really needing one, but you could say that about anything really. Nobody really needs power tools, but they make life a lot easier. It's a personal choice.

Spinks
Ah the joys of Welsh water. I lived in Brum for sixty years. :)

Cheers

Dave

Back