Water marks with finishing Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Our neighbors fitted walnut worktops in there kitchen. They have applied 4 coats of chustnut finishing oil and it looks great. Only problem is that if you get any water of the tops, white patches appear - is there a reason for this?

They got supplied two tins of Osmo Polyx-oil which they want to apply over the top of the finishing oil if the water marking can't be cured. Is this advisable?

Hi Andy

What do they do to remove the water marks, assuming they clean up okay?

Andy - have read the instructions on the back of my tin and it says that old varnish should be removed and any old micro porous finish should be cleaned and lightly sanded - Rob

Terry. I'll ask the question later. I think they disappear over time but it's just alarmed them that they appeared in the first place.

I think the last coat went on around Tuesday just gone. And we meet up this friday so do you think it's a possibility that it hasn't had time to cure properly?

Thanks WB

Hi again Andy

It is possible that the oil hasn't had time to cure fully, so time may well mend this.

I'll look forward to the answer to the question, could you also find out please how long it takes for the white marks to appear and whether any water splashes are sitting on the surface as small pools or is something else happening?

Thanks

Terry, i'll find out a bit more info. I think it's due to not curing long enough.

Thanks

If its any use I use the oil a lot. My coffee table has taken severe child attacks with everything from juice to felt tip, crayons, etc. Thats without the usual coffee.
It has stood up very well (better than the table..... :lol: )
So maybe the curing is the problem - once cured its bomb proof.
Philly :D

It is law in my house that Mr Daniels finest is only poured into one place. My mouth..... :lol:
Philly.....hic :eek:ccasion5:

Back