Watch out - sharp tools are dangerous So are baked bean cans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
The ASA has banned a popualr advert http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866 of people using baked bean cans to make a song.

I can't help thinking that we have gone health and safety crazy in this country. Next thing we know all tool adverts will have a warning that sharp stuff can be really bl**dy dangerous.

It just like coffee cups warning there the contents may be hot. I thought that was the whole idea of coffee?!?! But that all came about after Stella Liebeck sued McDonalds after scalding herself.
I can see the point, sometimes, but as health and safety becomes more stringent, common sense becomes less of a requirement which I think is partly to blame for the lack of that commodity in todays society.

lol you could just sand away the sharpness of the can, ridiculous really, they need some 150 then 280 grit paper.

it depends on the tin opener though doesn't it, I used to have one that cut the internal part out leaving the smooth edges intact. although I had to get rid of it as I found it was dropping small metal shavings into the beans which I wasn't particularly keen on eating lol.

As I've said before, you can make something foolproof but you can never make it damn-fool proof.

NazNomad":270ths5s said:
As I've said before, you can make something foolproof but you can never make it damn-fool proof.

Regardless of how silly person-proof you can make things, evolution will always come up with a better silly person!

Sure, you can pick stupid examples of H&S stuff. But loads of people used to die. Especially in our line of work.

I can give this silly stuff a pass, if we get to keep our fingers.

Always liked this one

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 86
MatthewRedStars":1m037yut said:
Sure, you can pick stupid examples of H&S stuff. But loads of people used to die. Especially in our line of work.

I can give this silly stuff a pass, if we get to keep our fingers.

Unfortunately H&S gets a bad press but I think that's generally when people are using it as an excuse to stop something.

I only do stuff in my workshop for myself so I'm not forced to follow any H&S rules. However I have a decent dust extraction system. Dust mask, goggles, ear defenders, gloves etc.

I also have a decent first aid kit and two fire extinguishers.

So I think I take it seriously. H&S is there to protect our digits, hearing, lungs etc. Why ignore it!

I do hate it when people hide behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is the important message

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said it would not contradict the ruling, but its chairman Martin Temple said: "It does look like the term health and safety has been used incorrectly here".

Normally, when someone is touting HSE as the cause for something, a look behind it reveals the insurance industry is to blame. In this case it doesn't seem that way, so that's a pleasant surprise. instead, it's moaning busy bodies with to much time on there hands. guess you can't fix stupid. :)

to quote the Simpsons "won't somebody think of the children".

Monkey Mark":2rtlwelh said:
It just like coffee cups warning there the contents may be hot. I thought that was the whole idea of coffee?!?! But that all came about after Stella Liebeck sued McDonalds after scalding herself.
I can see the point, sometimes, but as health and safety becomes more stringent, common sense becomes less of a requirement which I think is partly to blame for the lack of that commodity in todays society.

Not just Stella Libeck that sued Mcdonalds

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Pete

And.............

This is why Mcdonalds lost the case:

"McDonald’s admitted it had known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years. The risk had repeatedly been brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits."

Back