Warning: Rise in temps + lots of condensation = RUST!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Merry Christmas to one and all, hope y'all had a good one! :)

Fine festive weather we HAD here, a sustained period of low temps and broken records (not to mentionen broken water mains and gutters!). However, in the last day or so the temp has shop up by about 10c!! I dont know what the weather is like now in the UK, but I believe we're to be back under the influence of the atlantic again for a while.

Anyway, I've noticed with the rise in temps that there is a LOT of condensation around the workshop and anything that can rust is starting to rust!! :evil:. Ok, so my shop is pretty basic, cavity block, felt and galvanise roof, but its just a heads up for anyone with a shop like mine, timber shed etc to keep an eye on them tools and make sure they're well wrapped up, oiled, greased etc.

Just lit the stove in mine so hop that'll drive out some of the damp! (hammer)

10 degrees I have yet to see!

however I kept it up at 8 degree though the last month (5 x 5m - 44mm timber) and I don't even feel it's necessary to run a de-humidifier

far to many liquids/paints/varnishes to let it go below 2 or so, as well as the metals and motors!

a timely reminder to those with few choices - but even if you're not running heating it has to be worth a de-humidifier through the cold spell surely (even a few large trays of salt!)

I've tried my best to protect my tools by wrapping them up in old cloths and cardboard and I'll just have to wait and see if that'll do it... before I did that my mitre saw looked like it had been visited by Jack Frost because of all ice on it!! There isn't much I can do about it though as my workshop is a metal shed so it's a magnet for damp. I placed a few bowls of cement around the shed and in my tool cabinet in an attempt to absorb some of the damp and it hasn't worked. I think I'll break out the WD-40 tomorrow and give everything a good rub!!

Anyone had any similar problems and solutions (apart from heating and dehumidifiers as I haven't got pernament electricity in the shed, just an extension cable through the kitchen door)

Thanks

mark aspin":1a8xdjcb said:
I think I'll break out the WD-40 tomorrow and give everything a good rub!!

I noticed a few spots of rust on my bandsaw table yesterday, so, cursing and swearing I wiped it down, and gave it a good spray/wipe down with oil (its only a relatively new machine so I'm a tad obsessive about keeping the table shiney :roll: ). Anyway, went up this evening and the oil had turned a sort of cloudy color and there was more patches of rust! Argh!!! I noticed some of my planes too started to aquire little rust spots! Its not a case that I can wax/grease everything up as the shop is still in use.

Christmas eve night it was -11 here, last night it was 6-8c, today was about 9/10c. I know the snow, ice etc was a pain but give me it ANYDAY over this mild, wet, dready overcast muck!

You said it Croppy!!! Cloudbase must be all of 300 feet in a VERY soggy Belfast and the humidity underneath it must be knocking on three figures. Even the handle of my shovel (clearing the boys' 'igloo' away) is slippery and I noticed the metal handrail of our loft ladder was too!!

Sam

Back