Warding file help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems the general quality of cheap files has increased these days though. I remember buying cheap files 10 years ago or so and they were truly awful. I tried a cheap set from Lidl last year and they are superb, the rasp in the set is dire of course because cheap rasp are still carp but cheap files are not so terrible, at least not the lidl ones.

I'm not sure as I haven't bought any files for a long time (apart from a set of 5 x 10 inch Baita - Swiss-made - that were on special offer - about 20 quid - which I couldn't resist of course)!

I certainly have enough warding, swiss, and needle files to last my lifetime and more (IF I don't allow them to clang together !!!!). Yeah, I know,my fetish!

But just for interest I did try a set of diamond "needle" files from Aldi recently. Cheap! A bit coarse, and I haven't used them much yet, but "so far so good".

Anyway, I'm glad you're sorted for now, I should stop posting now, must be boring everyone else to death!

Rorschach,
try Keyprint Security Ltd they may be able to help you. I used to buy key cutting gear including warding files from them about 30 years ago
hth
skelph
They only sell Souber warding files which I have already discounted because they all have cropped tips, common on cheaper files. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Looks like I might need more help after all. Grobet have gone cheap and are producing files with cropped tips like a lot of manufacturers these days.

As I said earlier

TOME FETEIRA

They are the only files and rasps I buy. They are also the only pippers making decent saw files on the planet

I am trying to find a replacement warding file (I have broken the tip).

It needs to be 1.4mm thick or less, (the current file is 1.3mm) and come to pretty much a sharp point. Widest point around 11mm and cutting length around 100mm, these dimensions are not as critical as the thickness. It cannot be a needle file, they are too narrow.

I though about using an auger file instead but they all seem to be tapered and too thick.
I see Tome Feteira already suggested , the U.K. supplier is Arceurotrade, I have used these and quality is good, the ultimate IMO is Vallorbe / Grobert lots of suppliers if you look, many are in the jewellery trade suppliers

I see Tome Feteira already suggested , the U.K. supplier is Arceurotrade, I have used these and quality is good, the ultimate IMO is Vallorbe / Grobert lots of suppliers if you look, many are in the jewellery trade suppliers

I see ARC sell them, but not the warding files unfortunately.

Well it seems I might not be able to find the properly pointed files I want without spending big bucks and considering they snap so easily it might not make financial sense. The cost of a the file is want is at least 5x times the cost of a cheaper file.
I am going to try a different tack and see how that works. I'll take the grobet files and re-grind the to a point from one side and just attack the job one side at a time, I think this will work, possibly even better than my previous method now I think of it.

Well it seems I might not be able to find the properly pointed files I want without spending big bucks and considering they snap so easily it might not make financial sense. The cost of a the file is want is at least 5x times the cost of a cheaper file.
I am going to try a different tack and see how that works. I'll take the grobet files and re-grind the to a point from one side and just attack the job one side at a time, I think this will work, possibly even better than my previous method now I think of it.

@Rorschach: If you do want me to go into Basel and get some of those files I pointed out to you right at the beginning of this thread, then just let me know quantity/ies and cut/s you want and I can easily do so. BUT, as pointed out at the time, they are VERY expensive per piece, AND postage from here will also be very expensive (like just about anything else here :( )!

So most probably not worth it, but let me know if you want to go ahead.

I really appreciate the offer and may well take you up on it but as you say they are very expensive and considering I break a couple of files a year, I think it is worth experimenting with the cheaper files first.

OK mate, understood, shout if you change your mind.

(Incidentally, I know I shouldn't, but harking back to that thread about Currys not being able to provide "proper" service because the market for people wanting that is too small (I've paraphrased you), you're quite wrong you know, because: 1. Today's "milleniumteenies" (or whatever they're called) are growing older every day (and will become old fuddy-duddies sooner than you - and they - know it)!; all professional marketeers (if those 2 words are not mutually exclusive!) agree that firms ignore niche markets at their peril - should at least try - John Lewis for example); and there are plenty of examples of lots of different firms in all sorts of different sectors who cater almost exclusively to one sort of niche or another, AND make a very nice profit out of doing so thank you you very much!

As said, I know I shouldn't have bounced back to you - especially not here - but I couldn't resist, sorry! I really have put that thread on "Unwatch"! "BAD Boy AES).
;)

I know we shouldn't but something I must take issue with. Yes all the young people today will get old but you make the assumption that when we do get old, we will want the same things our parents and grandparents want, and I don't think that will be the case. In days gone by kids grew up to be just like their parents because the world changed slowly, especially technology (outside of industry and war) but things are shifting ever faster and the younger generations now are not growing up to be like their parents, not least because their parents are also changing and adapting to move with the times.

I phoned the last time I used them about 2 yeras ago

Back