WANTED: YEW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after some Yew from which I can turn a salad bowl for a good customer of mine. He is after a bowl about 18/20 inches in diameter, reasonably deep (6/8 inches) and preferrably in Burr Yew.

I know it's a big request but would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

There are not many places that would have that you need to find a saw mill with a Yew butt they are willing to cut to spec. I would try the Sawmill at Patley Bridge but its a fair way to go for a lump of wood

Hello Mark.
I have checked what i've got but the biggest piece i've got is 12".
This was from the main trunk section which measured well over 24",but when i came to cut it up,the trunk was more or less in 2 halves as in this piccy :(

Would Yew be suitable for a salad bowl :?:
Paul.J.

I was under the impression that Yew is extremely toxic, parts of the tree being used to create poisons in fact. Not sure I would want a salad bowl made from it.
EDIT It seems that yew has traditionally been used for tankards, bowls and wine barrels so praps not that toxic after all.

Cheers Mike

MR wrote
I was under the impression that Yew is extremely toxic, parts of the tree being used to create poisons in fact.
This is what i thought,but have also been told that it's just the seed from the berry that is poisonous:?
Still one of me favourite timbers for turning though :D
Paul.J.

HI

Try Nigel at Geddington Sawmill, he had some large thick boards of figured Yew there earlier this week. His contact number is 07979 251 497

john

Paul.J":3p5wsqrj said:
MR wrote
I was under the impression that Yew is extremely toxic, parts of the tree being used to create poisons in fact.
This is what i thought,but have also been told that it's just the seed from the berry that is poisonous:?
Still one of me favourite timbers for turning though :D
Paul.J.

The berries and the leaves are extremely toxic - so much so that horses have been found near Yew trees dead with the leaves still in their mouths.

I am pretty certain that the wood itself isn't toxic though.

Gary

Thank you everyone for the information. It's much appreciated.

Mike thanks for that site link - it's fascinating.

Regarding the toxicity I know the foliage is poisonous to animals and the berries to humans but to date I haven't lost a customer to the timber - touch wood :lol:

Latest posts

Back