wanted - Veritas honing guide / waterstones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger666

Reaction score
im looking for a shapening setup and after looking about i think i would be better with
veritas honing guide

also waterstones 800/1000 4000/6000

i feel 2nd hand would be better as im just a begginer and dont want to shell out well over £100
if anybody has some that they would be willing to sell please pm me

many thx luke

I know Karl was selling a set of waterstones in this section. He may still have them.

Rob_H":2qmjni39 said:
I know Karl was selling a set of waterstones in this section. He may still have them.

:D

Cheers Rob.

Luke - I have a set of stones - PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Karl

Roller type honing guides used with water stones equals rapid wear to the roller and a useless or out-of-true honing guide in rapid time.

The slurry gets into the bearings and creates a lot of damage..

Best to spend your money on a decent set on Diamond stones.

I also have a set of redundant water stones.......

Argus
I'd have to disagree with you there - I have a selection of honing guides that have seen years of use on waterstones. None of them have become unusable, and I've never experienced the "worn out roller" - after all, it should roll on the surface of the stone, not be honed on it.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":2g4c9tuz said:
Argus
I'd have to disagree with you there - I have a selection of honing guides that have seen years of use on waterstones. None of them have become unusable, and I've never experienced the "worn out roller" - after all, it should roll on the surface of the stone, not be honed on it.
Cheers
Philly :D

We'll agree to differ on that one, Phil.

The roller guide in question is a Veritas Mk1, bought about when they first came out at least 10 or 15 years ago. I think that it came from Axminster.

My point is that the slurry inevitably gets in the roller bearings - hence it flops about like a willy in a shirt-sleeve.

I use a mark 2 on DMTs these days - much better results, far quicker and no messing about truing up wavy stones on a regular basis.

Argus":xjuvwmng said:

Roller type honing guides used with water stones equals rapid wear to the roller and a useless or out-of-true honing guide in rapid time.

The slurry gets into the bearings and creates a lot of damage..

Best to spend your money on a decent set on Diamond stones.

I also have a set of redundant water stones.......

Not been my experience in 8 years of waterstone use with roller type guides.
Diamond stones don't come close in terms of the edge they produce.

Luke

Try some of the 3M papers - I have been using them from Veritas for a fair while now and the edge I get is as good as with 10000 grit waterstones.

No slurry, no mess and very cheap. A form of 'scary sharp' but with much finer abrasives.

Veritas selles them here

I posted about it here

Tony":5pmzolla said:
Luke

Try some of the 3M papers - I have been using them from Veritas for a fair while now and the edge I get is as good as with 10000 grit waterstones.

No slurry, no mess and very cheap. A form of 'scary sharp' but with much finer abrasives.

Tony: Here is a tip based upon my testing and use of these excellent 3M products. When you reach the 9 micron and finer level with these abrasives, the swarf tends to stick to the abrasive surface and glaze over. (It is worse at 1 micron and .3 micron) If you use a spray of household cleaner such as Formula 409 or equivalent, the swarf can easily be wiped off. This extends the useful life of these fine abrasives.
Don

Sharpdon":309quxjs said:
Tony":309quxjs said:
Luke

Tony: Here is a tip based upon my testing and use of these excellent 3M products. When you reach the 9 micron and finer level with these abrasives, the swarf tends to stick to the abrasive surface and glaze over. (It is worse at 1 micron and .3 micron) If you use a spray of household cleaner such as Formula 409 or equivalent, the swarf can easily be wiped off. This extends the useful life of these fine abrasives.
Don

Don, I'm not familiar with formula 409...don't think we have it over here, and no, it's not that I never do any cleaning, my wife hasn't heard of it either. What kind of product is it?

George_N":21bzzypq said:
Don, I'm not familiar with formula 409...don't think we have it over here, and no, it's not that I never do any cleaning, my wife hasn't heard of it either. What kind of product is it?

It is a household spray cleaner. Others are "Simple Green" and "Fantastic" I had some 1 micron (3M) abrasive discs and some .3 micron discs that I could not use on the Lap-Sharp, since after the first rotation, the swarf would build on the surface and cause flaws in the abraded surface (viewed under a microscope). I was using water with some dish detergent as a lubricant. I also noticed the same issue with the 9 micron abrasive glazing from swarf, but not the 20 or higher micron abrasives. I then tried using WD-40 as a lubricant on the finer abrasives and it worked great. Some woodworkers don't want that lubricant near their wood, so I then discovered that household spray cleaner would not completely float the swarf, but did allow one to easily wipe it off the abrasive thereby extending the useful life of the abrasive. This tip obviously will also work when hand sharpening and using these abrasives.

Back