Walnut Blanket box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halyon881

Reaction score
K8qyBrL.jpg

Finished Product. I got some free offcut's of tongue and grooved walnut from my dad left over from a horse trailer floor. Decided to make a blanket box. I only had some 2x2 pine to use as corner posts but they worked out quite well. Routed out some dado's on my router table, clamped and glued it together.
pPkbGI1.jpg

The walnut stain on the pine worked better than I expected. Rustin's brand, two coats. Not an exact colour match but good enough for me
EARFKhO.jpg

You can just see the dado slots on the top of this picture
Kj5N3tm.jpg

Bottom with triangular pieces to hold the base. Hidden screws (sacrilegious I know). Put a sheet of 6mm plywood on the bottom to save weight.
nSFkJlX.jpg

Top secured with 15mm nails from my Aldi nail gun, which is a beast and well worth it. Finished with matt varnish.
hZzzolX.jpg

Side View. 18mm Rope handles which may not be to everyone's taste, but I tried using hinges and it didn't feel right.

I like this, nice simple style and true to function. well done

I would perhaps put rope side handles as well for ease of moving around

Thank you. Its going to be in one place at the end of the bed so wont be moving it around at all. I also didn't buy enough rope for that :)

I love the WIP pictures. May you have as much use out of it as my Girlfriend (now my wife ) had out of the one I made for her prior to us getting married in 1957. I made mine with Obeche frame with oak faced panelled ply. It's still in use albeit now in the loft.
I must confess yours is far more " posh " than mine ,I love it :D :D :D

Alan.

Very, very nice well done! Looks more like Sapele than Walnut to me but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back