Walnut and Maple End Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a project I finished today. It is a walnut and maple end table, made for a real, paying customer! :D

2283618005_0599bb1cfb_o.jpg

My brief was a complete carte blanche, apart from the fact it needed a drawer and a shelf. It spent quite a while in the design stage, and was redesigned several times before I thought it was right.

2283618173_c7116ccb15_o.jpg

2284404860_04fd3a3aff_o.jpg

The legs extend trough the table top. I asked the question about expansion issues on the forum, and WiZer suggested that I leave a gap around the legs and make it a feature. I'm glad he did, because I think it worked very well. Thanks WiZeR. :wink:

2283618511_f3d2dfb0cd_o.jpg

2284405158_be7e281b74_o.jpg

The hardest part for me was the M&Ts for the rails. Because the legs are curved, the shoulder for the tenon also had to be. This was done with a template and router, but it took quite a while to get it right.

2284405340_600cf8813c_o.jpg

I experimented with a maple drawer pull, but in the end, I decided not to have one at all. So instead, I routed a finger groove in the underside. The drawers run on tandem blumotion runners. The big orange levers are the locking devices.

2283618915_8fb6d11fab_o.jpg

It is finished with Osmo PolyX, which was recommended by Rob (woodbloke), in another thread. I must say, it is excellent stuff. Highly reccomended.

Simon,
That is a very nice looking table. I think I would have liked it even more if it had been taller in proportion to its width but I guess that might have been contrary to its intended purpose?

In any case, it's a super job. Is the joinery at the junction of the legs and apron rails curved - or have you made flat surfaces there?

wow, no really... WOW! :D

Very nice indeed, glad my suggestion paid off.

Wow! :shock: Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Chris - Yes, the rail-leg joinery is curved. It took a while to get right, but I'm glad I persevered.

Philly - Ofcourse, my Phillyplane was instrumental in the construction. :wink:

Great stuff - very attractive indeed. A job you can be proud of and great that its a proper commission.

Cheers

Tim

Now that is a really nice piece of work! I love the contrasting timbers - and all very nicely thought out. Refreshingly different.

Latest posts

Back