Wall-O-Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbranam

Established Member
Reaction score
I completed this tool wall last week. You can see more detailed photos and read about it at http://www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html.

img_1060.jpg

img_1063.jpg

Very nice =D>

Unfortunately my workshop shares the garage with the car. As the car often comes in wet (and drips about a litre of water onto the floor) I feel I need doors on all my cabinets.

I also sometimes work with MDF, and the clouds of dust the powered router makes, also make it a good idea to have doors :cry:

I particularly like the saw till (a good explanation on how it works BTW) and must get on to mine soon.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers, Vann

That looks fantastic, very organised and an impressive collection. BUT.... even if I were to spend the time to organise my [less impressive] collection, I would still end up having to clear my bench every time I wanted to do something.

A similar set up to me, except mine is the 'Tool Wall' and most planes are under the bench, not on the wall. Most of what I use is on a 4x4' board directly in front of the bench where it's all easily reachable and more importanlty...put backable :D - Rob

As "oh wow" tool storage goes, I love it (and will be studying to see what tool holding methods I can nick, er, flatter with imitation...). Alas, like Vann, I'd fear the effects of damp and dust and have to go with enclosed storage. (And before anyone says it, yes, I'd probably also need a wall as long as Hadrian's to take everything)

Very nice and tidy. But, as I thought when I first saw it on your blog, you have made a big error - you have left yourself no empty spaces!

I can't believe you will now say that you have enough tools, and will pass by any more that come your way, or remove one of something to make room for a newly acquired example.

That's... beautiful...

Now the real challenge is keeping it like that, I cleaned my garage a couple of weeks ago and it already looks like someone's emptied a couple of bags of sawdust everywhere :p

Anthony

Wonderful...it really impresses me that people can be so organised and tidy...

I am afraid I am not one of these people...I did try...I built the plane shelves...was really proud of it and then acquired about twice as many "other planes" than I had when I planned it and it immediately became overcrowded. I need a system that continues into the garden, is waterproof and comes complete with a set of slave elves to put it all back and polish it!

Good job there mate...really impressive!

Jim

Thanks, all! You will note that all the photos are tightly cropped, not showing the chaos to the right and behind the camera! But that too will soon be tamed.

And after the lumber storage rack on one wall, there are two more walls unaccounted for, just requiring a little rearranging of some freestanding shelf units. So there's ample room for expansion. Maybe even enough room to accommodate my old wooden planes, transitionals, and modern wooden ones! There will always be room for newly acquired treasures.

I'm definitely happy not to have to worry about moisture. I never had much luck trying to share a garage with a car, so when we bought this house, I staked out a quarter of the basement.

Like the 'saw-till'. At the moment mine are all hanging from cup-hooks, through holes in the blades..
On the other hand though, they aren't in the way, they are accessible and very put back-able, once I discovered the angle the cup hook needs to rest at!

So I'll turn my mind to the plane rest which could just fit under the stairs, which project annoyingly into my shop!

John :D

Vann":sef1377a said:
Very nice =D>

Unfortunately my workshop shares the garage with the car. As the car often comes in wet (and drips about a litre of water onto the floor) I feel I need doors on all my cabinets.

It is bad for cars to be in garages, they are much better outside.

Jim

yetloh":1p2jxca8 said:
Vann":1p2jxca8 said:
Very nice =D>

It is bad for cars to be in garages, they are much better outside.

Jim
I'll tell my wife that (hammer) . She uses the car far more than I do (I usually take the train to work). Just think of all the extra benches and cabinets I could fit into the cars space, and the extra tools that could fit in those cabinets :twisted:

Cheers, Vann.

These days cars don't rust so easily. (Well the better ones that is!) So it's best to 'store' them under a car port where they can 'drip-dry', exposed to breeze and Sun.

My solution was to buy a car that was far too big for the garage. (It would just about hold a Mini, so 35 years ago I didn't have to buy anything bigger than an Austin Cambridge. Problem solved. Ten cars later, the flivver stays on the drive; the garage is a workshop full of goodies. Oh I almost forgot. SWIMBO doesn't drive! But you could buy your better-half a bigger car! Unless she's heavily into green issues, you could be on a winner.

Best of Luck Vann.

John

:)

I have it!

Buy her a pickup! Then it won't fit in the garage as John suggest (superb that John!) AND...you can get her to pick up the larger machine tools thus saving on delivery charges!

BINGO!

I knew we would find a solution eventually! :wink:

Jim

(goes into hiding!!! :oops: :twisted: )

jimi43":22yg8k14 said:
I have it!

Buy her a pickup! Then it won't fit in the garage as John suggest (superb that John!) AND...you can get her to pick up the larger machine tools thus saving on delivery charges!

...and you can get an awful lot of 8' planks in a pick-up. It's gota be a winner :D :mrgreen: - Rob

woodbloke":1x8u7iut said:
jimi43":1x8u7iut said:
I have it!

...and you can get an awful lot of 8' planks in a pick-up. It's gota be a winner :D :mrgreen: - Rob

Exactly!!

And if you time it when she is having a coffee morning...extra labour is available....

I think we have a working solution here!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

(Feels a slap up the head from ALF coming on.... :mrgreen: )

sdbranam said:
I completed this tool wall last week. You can see more detailed photos and read about it at http://www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html.

Hi Steve

First off, that is an amazing collection of both tools and tool storage! Wow!

But (the second bit), while I thank thee for mentioning my name (in your blog), I really am not even close to being in your league.

I must admit - and I hoping that you keep this a secret - that I actually like the look of MDF, especially when it has been sealed with varnish or Danish Oil. I recall some friends building a kitchen this way. It was surprisingly durable, it looked fantastic ... and it was cheap to build. Save the good wood for furniture.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jimi, Rob,

It's beginning to look like I'll have to buy SWIMBO a course of driving lessons, and a pick-up. Then I could phone in my cutting list, and get the good lady to collect the materials. She's been going on about a new kitchen. I wonder if she would see the logic?

Any observations are bound to be highly amusing , if not hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John (hammer)

Derek....all you have to do is say three Hail Mary's clutching a piece of Jarrah in one hand and a nice little old mitre plane in the other hand whist dancing around a rosewood tree and you will be fine...

Keep taking the tablets! :mrgreen:

John....

BSM is superb and I quite like the black Toyota 4x4....they can get into fields too! Just in case you feel like felling the odd mature oak!

I think you are being a tad optomistic though....wouldn't it be better to start her off on a dining table and then work her way up to kitchen construction!???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Jim

Back