Electric heater and a very warm wall…..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDean

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
After getting the garage insulated and ply lined this summer I have finally found a bit of time to get in and start a couple of projects.
On testing the electric wall heater I had put in, I notice the wall (18mm ply) above is getting very hot.

The air is about 90c coming out of the top of the heater. The max on the wall is 65c about 200mm up, then descending as you get higher.

The walls elsewhere are about 20c.
IMG_5866.jpeg

I was going to put tools higher up but am nervous now.

The tools in the picture are not directly above the heaters outlet, so are fine.

Should I rethink this wall?

Thanks

Put a shelf about a little above the heater with some heat reflective material on the underside (tin foil will do in a pinch, but you can buy better materials). The shelf will kick the heat out away from the wall as it rises. You get more heat further into the shop quicker, plus some storage on the shelf!

Put a shelf about a little above the heater with some heat reflective material on the underside (tin foil will do in a pinch, but you can buy better materials). The shelf will kick the heat out away from the wall as it rises. You get more heat further into the shop quicker, plus some storage on the shelf!
Thanks for that. Just noticed the rubbish painting on the wall as well :)

I'd some spare foil backed shed insulation that I put behind my radiators. It's about 7mm thick bubble wrap type of thing foil on both sides. I think the thinner foam stuff is just too thin to really be effective.
For the output the radiator puts out, much of it goes straight through the thin foam. 7mm on the shed insulation stuff isnt brilliant, but its better than the cheaper option.

I was going to put tools higher up but am nervous now.
I don't think you'll have to worry about your chisels melting.

Back