Walk-in wardrobe build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought i'd share this little project with you. This should be the last project to be built in the home workshop :)

I've called it a walk-in wardrobe, but that's a bit glorified. You'll see what I mean as we progress.

First, the space to work with:

2012-05-03135829.jpg

2.7mtrs wide, 1.3 mtrs deep (hence the walk-in arrangement).

The internals will be a concoction of painted MDF units with CND Maple face frames - nothing too fancy as it's to a budget. Outside will be 4 x Oak sliding doors.

Made a start on the first unit this afternoon (after F1 practise) - this is to fit under the sloping ceiling.

2012-05-11180650.jpg

I ran the face frame to the floor as there will be a skirt detail attached once everything's fitted, and the frame will give good fixing points.

The drawers are 700 mm deep to provide maximum storage, and protrude out the back of the open unit.

2012-05-11180657.jpg

This is for a reason - when it's all fitted, these drawers can be removed to provide a secret storage compartment (the couple have 2 young kids) - great for Xmas/birthday surprises (and somewhere to store the gimp for the rest of the year :lol: )

Undermount runners are only 550mm (yes, I know the drawers won't be "full extension", but the customer was happy to have the extra depth on the drawers), so i've had to modify the way I build the drawers - adding an additional couple of pieces to allow the fittings to work. I'll show pics of this when I fit the drawers tomorrow.

That's all for now - more tomorrow.

Cheers

Karl

Got a few hours yesterday and this morning to get the two larger cabinets started.

Having made the larger of the two, I was then able to mock up the sloping ceiling, double checking all measurements to hopefully avoid any problems when it comes to fitting.

2012-05-13092038.jpg

This allowed me to accurately measure the truncated carcass. I have left the top out for now and that will be fitted on site, in case the sides of the carcass need any tweeking to fit the slope.

2012-05-13122427.jpg

Tomorrow i'll get these two cabinets finished and perhaps make a start on the shelving system which is going in between the two against the rear wall.

Cheers

Karl

i'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses Karl, i'm sure it will throw up some challenges installing it into a slope.

The new workshop looks excellent as well, all the best with it.

A quick question while im here. I need new kitchen door hinges, and not sure if i should spend the extra on Blum blumotion clip top ones, or go for the older style ones with the removable piston?

Thanks Kev

Hi Kev. Looking forward to the new 'shop - better than building furniture in the dining room! I always use the clip-on soft closers - I don't like the look of the piston type.

Finally managed to get back on with this today (after a couple of flooring jobs and a rather strange build of a prototype unit - pics when it's been sprayed up).

Got the central shelving section pretty much sorted.

2012-05-22190311.jpg

2012-05-22190328.jpg

Big day tomorrow - need to get all the carcasses finished ready for painting on Thursday (in between the Monaco F1 practise sessions :) )

Cheers

Karl

Back