Wait months for a bed topic and then two come along together

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, have an oak framed bed that I'm rather fond of, but recently the head end has started to wobble against the side rails.

After some investigation, the problem is the thread sheering off the female, cylindrical metal socket which sits in a drilled hole within the oak frame. This "socket" also has 2-3mm of play within its hole which isn't helping matters.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy replacements (and what they are called), my intentions are do remove the old ones and replace, with a healthy dose of resin to hold them in place.

Sounds like you're talking about 'Cross Dowels', Screwfix carry them (http://www.screwfix.com/p/cross-dowel-m ... f-50/77320), together with the corresponding bolts - you can buy them in smaller quantities on Ebay etc, search for 'furniture connectors'

Cheers.

P.S. I'm not sure about the resin, the design incorporates a certain amount of slop to allow easy assembly, could you not just pack out the slop with some matchstick size slivers of wood?

Thanks Kev but not quite what I'm after. The bed frame has a single, half depth hole drilled and then the described but is fixed within the hole. It is almost just there to provide a better fixing than screwing into bare wood.

Frustrating as its a simple little fixing and an easy repair, if I knew what to search for.

Back