Wadkin RS Lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnapps95

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does any Wadin experts know what year Wadkin altered the bolt centres from 2.1/4" to 2" centres and the depth of the end of the bed from 8.3/8" to 10.3/8" on the RS woodturning lathes

Interesting question. I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with this.

I don't have an RS so I can't answer the first part of your question. I suspect the second part indicates you have the tailstock-end leg for a different size lathe. The RS came in 6", 8" and 10" centres. All used the same headstock with the bed sitting progressively 2" lower for each size. I'm guessing the 6" had the leg 2" longer than the 8" RS, and 4" longer than the 10" RS etc. Or maybe the bed is 2" deeper/shallower?

Cheers, Vann.

Interesting question. I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with this.

I don't have an RS so I can't answer the first part of your question. I suspect the second part indicates you have the tailstock-end leg for a different size lathe. The RS came in 6", 8" and 10" centres. All used the same headstock with the bed sitting progressively 2" lower for each size. I'm guessing the 6" had the leg 2" longer than the 8" RS, and 4" longer than the 10" RS etc. Or maybe the bed is 2" deeper/shallower?

Cheers, Vann.
Hi Vann.
I was just qurious as on the early ones the bed was fixed to the headstock with bolts at 2.1/4" centres and the end of the bed was 8.3/8" deep, the later ones were 2" centres and the depth of the end was 10.3/8". Over the years i have refubished/rebuilt quite a few RS's and joined additional beds to some to make them longer between centres, at present i am building a 12" centre hieght RS for which i have made a pattern and had a casting made for a toolholder that is 2" taller and 2" longer so i can use the toolrests etc off the 10" RS ihave also in the past had a 2" raiser block cast for when lowering the bed it enables the exsisting tailstock to be used. All the above just gives me something to keep me occupied at 80yrs. Regards Stan

Ah. You know far more about them than I do then.

Wallace has rebuilt a few RS lathes. He might know the answers.

Cheers, Vann.

Latest posts

Back