Wadkin Planer / Thicknesser 12" BAO/S - 3 Phase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Colleagues
Hopely, one of you has experience with the Wadkin PT machine, I'm in the middle of restoring and calibrating a old Wadkin PT. I've already downloaded the manual from Wadkin, but unfortunately the scan quality is poor. http://www.wadkin.com/products/view/182.

Does anyone have a cleaner scan version?

I'm also trying to find the details of both motors, it would appear they don't have motor plate on them so i cannot work out the details of the motors to help me size the Inverter / or Converter to use.

Couple of quesitons
1. Anyone know the wiring details, ie motor plate or a readable version of the wiring diagram from the manual.
2. Anyone running it on single phase? if so did you use a converter. Which one?
3. Anyone know the Amps ratings for the motors? ie normal (running) and Max (starting). Is there two difference answers for both dual motors running? ie I 1/1 and Imax?

Thanks in advance.

Note the jointing beds are off in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 239
Not saying you won’t get the answers here but it might be worth asking your questions on the Wadkin appreciation group on Facebook

I've got some literature on that model and it says the cutter head motor is 2.2kw 3hp. It doesn't mention the feed motor size but does say the 3phase version has 2 feed speeds and the single phase version just the one.
I'm sure I have a manual for it.

I don't want to start a new thread

What are the two metal plates for that are attached to the fence on this handsome Beast ?
s-l1600.jpg

They are adjustable in height and allow you to plane thin stock with a heavy cut and not lose contact with the fence on the outfeed table. Most older machines just have one. Modern machines don’t seem to allow the aggressive cut the older machines are capable of and have done away with them. I think it’s just Sedgwick and possibly SCM that still have them.

deema":2wp1s8kh said:
They are adjustable in height and allow you to plane thin stock with a heavy cut and not lose contact with the fence on the outfeed table...
Yes, they're to prevent thin pieces sliding under the fence.

There should be a spring or spring washer beneath the wingnuts at the back. This allows you to tension the "gates" slightly so that they slide up when you lower the infeed table. You have to lower them manually ('though they then slide back down with finger pressure).

Have you bought that RM?

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks for all your replies
No Vann, I didn't buy that Wadkin; it was on eBay but withdrawn - no buyer

The reason for my question; my own 6 inch planer has a similar plate but recessed into the fence - also has a spring washer & wing-nut behind, not sure what for
xXDgXzx.jpg

vOBCDfz.jpg

zE0aVeJ.jpg

8f0tNp9.jpg

The Whitehead was made in 1956 - previous owner restored it and fitted 3 hp single phase motor

I'm a fan of Wadkin machines but don't own one
If I had more space in my garage I would consider a Wadkin table saw with 10 inch blade

Back