Wadkin BAO/s rise and fall?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Put most of the bao/s back together again yesterday, but, like some kind of rookie silly person, didn't confirm the rise and fall before putting all the heavy stuff back on top! : /

When rising or lowering it's very very hard (two hands on the wheel) and it's like it's binding and then releasing with a click/rattle.

Any pointers before I start trying to work out how I can lift the top off it again?

(I've done the spray oil everywhere bit - it's moving a little so not solid, but isn't right at all)

Thank you.

I would say, without any photos, but by your description that the Thicknesser column pillar key is jamming somewhere in the tack. Screw not insert fully or the key not seated properly in its groove are the likely candidates.

Don’t wind the handle, those gears aren’t cheap if your break a tooth off.

I think its the lock mech, but im not certain.

The online manual is so hard to read.

I dont suppose anyone has a better quality copy than the attached, do they?

Attachments

• Wadkin-BAOS-12-inch-Planer-Thicknesser-Manual-Parts-List.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
If it’s the lock, just undo the two bolts holding the cast upper block to the underside of the thicknesser table. The lock bar is then disconnected and you either confirm it’s the lock or not. It would be unusual if it is……assuming the rods not bent.

There the magic three position lever in position also. It looks like I need to take all that out to disconnect the bar from the table. (?)

It’s a while since I’ve played with one, but if memory serves, no, it’s just two bolts under the thicknesser table.
12A2D3F2-6358-4230-97A9-107BD3257F11.jpeg

Yep...

It's not in front of me right now, but I think that, in order to get that bit off and mobile you need to take off all the lever stuff below.

I'm not certain. It's hard to see whilst the table is so low. And catch 22, I can't raise it easily.

Should have sorted all this before putting the top back on. Kicking myself.

Wondering if it will break anything if I undo the whole top section and just crane it off with a strap on the cutter block. I'm concerned that if I wrap a strap around the whole lot I'll just be compressing all the rollers together anyway, so I may as well just go off the largest one.

It was all lifted on by hand prior.

Back