Wadkin AGS-250-300

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm being offered Wadkin AGS-250-300.
As far as i know its three phase but easily converts to single phase (standard foot mounts?).
Generally its in poor state, sat for a long time in open (but roofed) shed so table is rusty. At least.
Tomorrow going to inspect it more thoroughly, today was too dark to get more than product name plate.
Man selling it is asking 500 quid for it, but i'm worried about potential repair costs. (again, inspecting tomorrow...)

Here are my questions:
1. Pending review after inspection, but is it worth the money if only need to clean it up good/derust? (and convert to one phase)
2. 3ph>1ph conversion - anyone done that ? Could someone take loads of pics of how it looks inside/outside ? What about rest of wiring ? What needs to be replaced ?
3. What bits and pieces have to be on this saw as standard ? Fences, guards, tools etc? Potential to haggle down the price...
4. How's the availability and PRICE of spare parts.

I'm tempted, but reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow after inspection...

Any good advice regarding this saw is very welcome as 500 quid is a lot of money for me at this point...

I've got an old AGS 250 which I converted to single phase

The motor just bolts to a plate under the saw, you can use nearly any foot mounted motor by just drilling new holes in the plate, however you need to ensure the triple drive pulley lines up and if mounting make sure any capacitors do not foul the tilt (I found this out the hard way)

I bought a 3 horse motor from Axminster, had to rebore the motor pulley but as I've got a metal lathe this was not a problem. New DOL switch from Toolstation (the cheapest I've found) and off you go. never had a problem and runs off a 13 amp plug.

Regarding price. Its not the cheapest one I've heard of especially if it needs a lot of work, why not check on ebay to compare prices that may give you a good idea.

I have a wadkin ags 12" in good nick that I paid £550 for.

Mine is 1962 though so pretty old. great saw though!

spare parts on old wadkins cost a bomb if you have to buy the original, as they make them to order.

Sounds pricey to me. with more work and potential problems involved.

that sounds a lot. If you bide your time, I think you will get a better saw for similar money or less.

threedee? I've been down this road before you, bought one in an identical state - for £50! Pictures on this forum of as far as I got before I became very ill. I am trying to get back to finishing it for Hallo'een, I've got new bearings etc. ready to go in. Wiring is easy, mechanicals straight forward, fence may be a nightmare if broken, fine even if rusty. You can fit an after-market one if you have to.

All that said, he's got a bloomin' cheek asking that amount of shekels for a rusty number; possibly seized arbour, with a motor potentially knackered by rain ingress. There are lots of running, clean, sharp bladed AGS's on the bay for that dosh. "£150 and turn yer arris to it if ye don't like it" is what I'd be saying to this gypsy.

PM me if you want a chat, I'll return my mobile number.

Sam

Actually i'm thinking that for that sort of money i'd go small saw, something like ax ts200 or something.
State of AGS is bad externally, i expect it to be even worse internally. 500 is a bit much for a piece of rust.
However being in Northern Ireland doesnt help with availability... Getting things of bay is a nightmare...

"However being in Northern Ireland doesn't help with availability... Getting things of bay is a nightmare..."

If I had a quid for every vendor I've dealt with or noticed saying: "Will not post to Northern Ireland"......I'd be able to insure my Masserati.....

WHAT THE PLUPERFECT HADES IS WRONG WITH ROYAL MAIL? It covers the ENTIRE country!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sam

Trouble is the expense. I post a fair few parcels out in the spring and summer and it costs me more than double to use Royal Mail. In fact it is so expensive now to use Royal Mail for anything heavy and/or bulky it often isn't worth the expense.

A three phase motor has more torque than a similar KW single phase motor. To covert it safely you would also need to buy a barked motor. All very expensive.

A far better solution that preserves the torque of a 3ph is to add an inverter. An inverter will provide braking to slow the blade down when turned off, and allow soft start to reduce the surge of power required when Turning on the machine. If that was not enough to convice you, when converting to single phase you will need to replace the no votage switch and overload protection. A good unit is circa £70. An inverter has the switch and overload built in.

They are easy to install and very economical. You will then benefit from having a saw that should you sell it can either be single or 3ph proving a larger market for the machine.

deema":3k6102un said:
To covert it safely you would also need to buy a barked motor. All very expensive.

I assume you mean a braked motor, I got mine from Axminster 3hp around £100, it stops in seven seconds. The switch was £20 from toolstation

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 080/p95364

I cannot find motor's on Axminsters website however machinemart do them

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/searc ... ory/page/1

mine runs quite comfortably off a 13amp plug (only blown one fuse in over three years cutting some 3" oak)

Marcros? I yield to your greater experience. I HAD used Royal Mail to send heavy university text books and frying pans etc to my student children and thought the costs not TOO high. Parcelfarce also seemed reasonable. Obviously, I wasn't running a business. Collaterally, I was responsible for the purchasing of a lot of gear over several years, for a school. It amazed me that you could divide 'private' carriers into two camps: those who calmly regarded the Irish Sea as just a slow down in the transit of their goods and those who developed high-cost hystrionics and appeared to equate St, George's Channel with the Atlantic Ocean.... :( The best one ever was £30 for a 500ml can of paint. Royal Mail got it to me for under a fiver.

We have three working ports in 'Norn Iron'. Whacking great cruise ships use them daily. We get all our coal, Tesco's, Asda's, Sainsbury's deliveries through them. We are NOT the outlying Hebrides, nearer to Norway than the mainland. I re-iterate, heavy costs and "don't send to N.I." are cons; nothing more. Cons. ](*,)

Sam

Back