w Tyzack sons and tuner no.4 nonpareil with etching +signed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darryl.h1990

Reaction score
Hi recently been given a w Tyzack sons and tuner no.4A nonpareil trade marked with elephant logo with etching and signed W. Tyzack Sons & Turner.

And was wondering is it worth keeping and sharpening. Is it something special (as I'm use to modern/new saws that get ruined and throw) or no worth anything.

Would like to know the history of it.

It's in good condition. Looks like the handle matches age wise to the blade and has brass a assume elephants trade mark stamp on handle making a total of five brass bolts/screw fixings holding handle.

As I'm new to site it's not letting me put pics on here

Any help is good.

Thanks

Darryl

Could be worth anything from zero to say £40 depending on age and condition. Why not sharpen it and give it a go?

Should be a good user but not particularly valuable. I use modern and vintage spear and Jackson soft points which look similar. The 10 tpi is the most useful for general purpose doors and skirting type stuff while the 7 tpi is for stud work and fencing. You might have a 6,5 or even 3 tpi ripper, dunno what a4 means.

Might not need sharpening, the black writing usually wears off pretty quick. Happy sawing.

According to Simon Barley in 'British Saws and Saw Makers from 1660', the firm of W. Tyzack, sons and Turner traded from 1879 until 1974, using the elephant and 'nonpareil' trademarks. I happen to know that they continued to make saws after 1974, because I bought two new in the 1980s - I'm fairly sure they kept going until about 1990. They made very good saws, every bit the equal of (by then) their main rival Spear and Jackson.

As said above, the market is awash with secondhand saws, as a quick search on Ebay for 'vintage saw', 'antique saw' or 'old saw' will demonstrate. Really good saws can sell for as little as a tenner depending on when the auction ends, so in a monetary sense the saw isn't worth 'much'. However, as said above, Tyzack's made excellent saws, and if it's clean and straight, it should sharpen up to a very good user.

I have a similar "Non-pareil" saw by Tyzac & Turner etc, which I bought from a UK vintage tool dealer a few years ago, it had been stamped with owner's initials but came with original plastic teeth guard and was in nearly-new condition. They are an excellent saw IMO, and with a nicely shaped handle- far better than those fitted to modern saws by Thos. Finn.

I have an Elephant Brand Nonpareil rip saw used by my Gt Grandfather who did his apprenticeship in the 1870s - still usable, but well worn. It has an excellent, well-balanced and comfortable handle, so they do have a pedigree. I think they adopted the 'Elephant and Nonpareil' logos in the 1890s or thereabouts, but they go back further than that as a company.

Equally the Nonpareil saws made ( and quite plentiful on the secondhand market) in the 50s and 60s are very good users, but by then they had economised to the point where the handles were large, squarish and uncomfortable, to the point that they were rounded-over wooden blanks; however the steel was still very good and they cut very well. If you're inclined, you can take a set of rasps to the handles and re-shape them.

Good value if you can sharpen your own as many of the more modern ones were hardly used. Overall, very good saws, in my opinion.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

Spend the night on it and sharpen it up. It's a 5 1/2 teeth an inch saw so is perfect for my work. Saws way better than most modern "disposable" saws. Watched Paul
sellers videos on how to sharpen.

I had a simliar saw and found it was very well made (allways thought before 1960) but I sold it because the handle was to small for my hands.

Cheers
Pedder

Latest posts

Back